Friday, April 10, 2009

Crockpot Salsa Chicken!

Ok I'll admit that when I first heard of this recipe, I kinda sorta turned my nose at it. I wasn't exactly finding it appealing because all I could envision was a chicken breast with some salsa slathered on top. BLECH!

BUT, that is not what this was at all, actually, it's so good, the kids loved it and asked for seconds.

Just give a try ok?



CROCKPOT SALSA CHICKEN
-Cooking For Fun blog


4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup salsa (I used green salsa on mine)
1 package taco seasoning
1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup (condensed) or cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream

Add chicken to slow cooker. Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken. Mix salsa and soup (this was the part that looked a little iffy, but persevere! Its well worth it!); pour over chicken. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Shred chicken with a fork. Stir in sour cream until heated, then serve over rice or tortillas.

I served mine with rice.

It's got this wonderful little zing to it.

10 comments:

  1. You know what? I've been thinking about trying this one recently too. It seems like everyone raves about it but like you, I just don't think it sounds good. I read one review of it where the girl used Campbells nacho cheese soup instead of the cream of mushroom and it looked so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the second time I have seen this version, I have not tried this one yet. This is one I make:

    Salsa Chicken:

    4 chicken breasts (we usually use six so we have left overs)
    1 can rinsed black beans
    1 bag frozen corn (we use use two cans of canned corn)
    1 jar salsa

    Mix all together in crockpot and cook 8-9 hours on low. Shred chicken w/ 2 forks, but really as soon as you pick it up or mix it, it just falls apart and shreds apart itself. You can eat it in tortillas with shredded cheese on top or over rice.

    The original recipe says to put it on for 8 hours on low, but we have found that it dries out the chicken so we have started putting on for a shorter time. We have started putting it on for 6 1/2 hours on low and it comes out great!

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything kids will eat and be happy about it a winner in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always have the best recipes ... thus, I trust your judgement. I will certainly try this one.

    Mrs. B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you do this in a dutch oven? My slow cooker broke!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So far lady, every recipe I've made from your blog (linked or otherwise) has been phenonmenal!!

    thanks so much!

    I made this one! YUMMY!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried this the night before last and it was delish !! A hit with everyone !! We used tortillas and rice. I made rice like chipotles ... you know, put lime juice and cilantro in it. YUMMMY ! We had avocado too. Wrapped it all up together !! Mmmmm. I've even got another meals worth in the freezer ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found your site while looking for a salsa chicken recipe. I made this tonight and I love it!! My 4 year old little girl ate it and I can't get her to eat more than spaghetti and chicken nuggets. This will definitely be a staple. Can't wait to try more of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete