Friday, February 25, 2011

French Dip Sandwiches

Easy meals that I can throw together while getting this house back to normal.

French Dip Sandwiches.  I know you've heard about them and I'm sure even tried them before, but usually to make them the traditional way you would have to cook the meat for a long long time, but I honestly don't have time for that and I also like using shortcuts.

So here is my version of this great sandwich, it's delicious, it's filling and it's very quick to put together.

Easy French Dip Sandwiches

French Dip Sandwich

4 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, finely diced
2 tablespoon flour
1/4 cup whiskey (you can also brandy or sherry)
2 cups beef broth
1 1/2 pounds deli sliced roast beef
salt and pepper
6 sandwich rolls, split
provolone cheese

In a large skillet melt butter. Add diced onion and saute for a few minutes until the onion is cooked through.  Add the flour and whisk,

then add in the whiskey and the beef broth, whisking constantly until smooth.  Simmer over a low heat for a few minutes. 

Add the roast beef to the skillet and heat through.  I like to separate the slices instead of just dropping the big chunk in there. 

Pile the roast beef onto rolls, top with provolone cheese

and then pop into the broiler so it melts and gets all toasty and gooeye.

Scoop the remaining sauce into ramekins and serve with sandwiches, for dipping.

Enjoy!

Easy French Dip Sandwiches

3 comments:

  1. Oh my, that looks heavenly Sandra! Up in Canada the dip is a highly seasoned beef broth. Very good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,

    That is surelly tastefulll!The dip is the complement....now i'm craving...

    Kisses
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are fast becoming my favorite recipe spot. I made these last night and they were amazing.

    ReplyDelete