Monday, November 17, 2014

Ajo Chicken

Ajo Chicken

When we lived back in Arizona, I picked up a little binder cookbook called A Taste of Arizona.  I was supposed to try out some of the recipes but never got around to doing it.

Two weeks ago when I was organizing my pantry and cookbooks, I came across it again and set it aside for my menu planning.  This chicken dish was one of the first that caught my eye and now I'm so glad I made it.

My husband and kids devoured it, had seconds and thirds and couldn't stop talking about it.  I even had it for lunch the next day and wished I had more.  It's on our favorite list, for sure. 

Ajo Chicken
Ajo Chicken
Source:  A Taste of Arizona

1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 chicken, cooked and boned
1/2 pound mushrooms
1 cup chicken broth
1 onion, chopped
1 cans diced green chiles
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Salt and pepper the chicken and place in a casserole dish.  Melt 1/2 tablespoon of the butter in a skillet and saute the mushrooms.

Scatter the mushrooms over the chicken and pour 1/2 up of the chicken broth over over all.  Cover and bake 10 minutes.

In the same skillet, melt the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons, butter and saute the onion.  Add chiles, garlic, and flour.  Cook about 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Remove the chicken, from oven and drain off pan drippings.  Combine drippings with the remaining 1/2 cup chicken broth to equal 1 cup of liquid.  Stir liquid into the onion mixture.  Mix in yogurt and heat gently.

Spoon sauce over chicken and top with cheese.  Bake another 15 minutes. 

Ajo Chicken


  1. This sounds delish...except I don't care for mushrooms. I wonder how it would be without them? What could possibly replace them?