Monday, June 27, 2016

Pickled Fish or Curried Fish


Now here's a recipe that you may not have tried before or even heard of.  To be honest, I didn't really try it until this past Easter, when my sister in law mentioned the pickled fish that her mom Valerie, would make for Easter every year.

It is pretty much a tradition for them in South Africa.

Having lived in that country for bout 15 years when I was growing up, I do remember seeing it and hearing about it, but I just never got around to eating it.  I wish I had, because I am absolutely in love with it.

The recipe comes from Auntie Valerie, and although there are measurements, she is used to making it all by eyeballing, pretty much like I cook my meals.  But, I'm giving you the recipe as she has given us and I promise you, if you love pickled anything, or curry flavors, you will fall in love with it too.

I'm giving you the recipe for the pickled mixture, not the fish itself.  You can fry up some battered fish, about a pound for this recipe.  Or you can even use the ready bagged breaded or battered fish fillets.  Just bake them in the oven according to directions and then place in a casserole dish and pour the pickled sauce over.

Pickled Fish

Pickled or Curried Fish
Source:  Auntie Valerie


1 big onion, thinly sliced
1 green pepper, thinly sliced
Butter
2 teaspoons masala
10 pepper corns
6 cloves
6 bay leave
3 curry leaves (you can leave out if you don't have)
2 tablespoons apricot jam
Half a cup of vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 heaped tablespoon of curry powder
2 tablespoons of chutney (very important, do NOT leave out)


Braise Onions and green pepper in butter with the masala, pepper corns, cloves, bay leaves, curry leaves thin straps of green pepper.

Add apricot jam, vinegar, sugar, curry powder and chutney.  Simmer for a few minutes until onion and green pepper are tender.  Check spices, if it is too sweet for your liking, add a bit more vinegar.

Pour over fried fish and refrigerate for at least a day.

It tastes better as it sits and soaks in all that goodness.  We eat ours cold.  You can serve it with potatoes, or rice, enjoy as a snack or even as a sandwich (one of my favorite ways to eat it).

Enjoy!!!  

Pickled Fish

No comments:

Post a Comment