Monday, September 24, 2018

Beef Casserole



Today I'm bringing you a recipe that is sure to become a hit in your home.

Imagine if you will a Cottage Pie, but instead of mashed potatoes, you use cubed fried potatoes and a delicious white bechamel sauce that will make it all yummy and creamy.

I've been trying to get back into cooking and baking on a daily schedule, and most importantly coming up with and trying new recipes.  I always menu plan but it gets a bit tiring making the same things over and over, and it feels like the past year that is what I've done.

So out come the old cookbooks for inspiration.  I truly do hope you enjoy this one, as always if you try it, I would love for you to let me know in the comments below.


_MG_2985

Beef Casserole


1 pound ground beef
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves (I used two teaspoons of my homemade diced garlic)
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
Olive oil
White Bechamel Sauce (I'll tell you below how to make it, if you don't know how)
1 teaspoon oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Bay Leaf
Shredded cheese of your liking (I used mozzarella)
Oil to fry


In a pot, add a bit of olive oil (I eyeball, but it's about 1 tablespoon), add the diced onion, garlic and bay leaf.  Cook over medium heat until onion is transparent.  Add the ground beef and brown.  Next, pour in the diced tomatoes with their juice, oregano and salt and pepper to taste.  Simmer until the meat is cooked through and there is hardly any sauce left.

In a separate saucepan, add 2 tablespoons of butter and cook over medium heat until melted, next add in 2 tablespoons of flour and stir vigorously and cook for just under a minute.  Pour in milk, a little at a time, stirring with a whisk to make sure there are no lumps.  I season it with a little salt, pepper and a dash of nutmeg.  ( I always add nutmeg to my white sauce).    Bring to the boil and stir constantly until the sauce thickens.

Once meat and sauce are done, set them aside.

Fry the cubed potatoes in oil until golden brown, drain on paper towels.




In a casserole dish, pour in the meat mixture, remember to remove the bay leaf.  Add the fried potatoes on top and spread them on evenly.

Pour over the potatoes the white bechamel sauce, then top with shredded cheese of your choosing.  Bake in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes.  Sprinkle with Parsley and serve immediately!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment