Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Crockpot Macaroni and Cheese

You know, I should just take the advice from Kelly and do a recipe a day, work through Trisha's cookbook just like Julie and Julia LOL

Well here's another winner.

Let me start by saying that I'm not a big Mac and Cheese fan, matter of fact, I can NOT handle the boxed stuff it's just....ugh, it's gross, far as I'm concerned.

But I do love a good homemade macaroni and cheese though some recipes are a little too cheesy for me or bland or whatever.

When I saw this recipe in Trisha Yearwood's new cookbook, I knew I had to try because so far I have not found one recipe I haven't liked, she does my kind of home cooking.

YUM-MY! It is so good, even my husband had seconds and he HATES macaroni and cheese. My 7 year old licked his lips and thought it was the best thing ever, he's the mac and cheese lover in the house and has now stated that he does not want the boxed kind anymore LOL

Go ahead, give it a try, but please don't do what I do, don't try to hog the thing for yourself, be nice and share with the family LOL

Trisha Yearwood Crockpot Mac & Cheese

CROCKPOT MACARONI AND CHEESE
Credit: Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood
Serves 12


8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked (I didn't cook mine, just threw it in with everything else)
1 12 ounce can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups whole milk
2 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt
dash of pepper
2 10 ounce bricks sharp cheddar cheese, grated (about 5 cups)
dash of paprika

In a large 4-quart crockpot sprayed with cooking spray, mix the macaroni, milks, eggs, butter, salt, pepper, and all but 1/2 cup of the grated cheese.

Sprinkle the reserved cheese over the top of the mixture and then sprinkle with paprika. Cook on low heat for 3 hours and 15 minutes.

Trisha Yearwood Crockpot Mac & Cheese

Turn off the crockpot, stir the mixture, and serve hot.

Trisha Yearwood Crockpot Mac & Cheese

12 comments:

  1. Sandra, I received my Trisha Yearwood cookbook yesterday that I won on your giveaway! I am sooo thrilled with all the wonderful and yummy looking recipes inside!! I will definately be cooking and baking up a storm!!

    Thank you so much!

    Blessings,
    ~Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really didn't cook your noodles first and it all came out well?! I love crock pot recipes that are actually easy and require no other cooking. I have heard tons of good things about this cookbook lately and cannot wait to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy that you are sharing these recipes. My local library has 15 new Trisha Yearwood cookbooks and all 15 are checked-out. In addition, there are currently 75 people on the wait list.

    Like you, I cannot abide stovetop mac -n-cheese. I LOVE the baked version but our house gets way too hot to do anything in the oven all summer long so I'm really happy to find this crockpot version!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great recipe..we all love mac and cheese...I did not even now she had a cookbook out, but this and the baked spaghettie look amazing

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  5. We tried this Monday night...it was amazing!!!! We also did not cook the noodles before hand, and it turned out perfect! The edges did get quiet burnt, but the center was to die for!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never thought of cooking mac and cheese in a crockpot! That's so cool! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must have done something wrong. I don't have a box grater so I used a microplane to grate the cheese -- which made it very fine. I used Kraft 2% mild cheddar because my family prefers mild rather than sharp cheddar. I also used the baking method Trisha says you can use instead of a crock-pot. I followed the recipe to the letter. Mine was brown and burning around the edges but the cheese was in curdled lumps throughout. It tasted fine I guess, but it's not a pleasant texture. Did this happen to anyone else?

    ReplyDelete
  8. So I tried this too, but mine failed! I didn't cook my noodles first, but cannot figure out what I did wrong. Anyone else have trouble?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mine sucked. I followed everything written on this blog and I have a pot of mush. Bland mush.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry to put a damper on but the nutritional value of this meal is so wrong. It is full of dairy fat and simple carbohydrates. And low fat substitutions only make matters worse by injecting highly processed food into it.

    With the food knowledge we have today, why would a mom feed this to her children if not to make them fat?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Erin the 2% cheese was your problem. That would cause the curdling. And Vito Y this is not a dish that you would serve to your family on a regular basis but on holidays or special occasions when we all blow the healthy eating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha - so funny about cooking through her cookbook ala Julia/Julie, I've thought about doing that too - would love it you did that.

    I made this recipe recently and it was a bit soupy - I did the same as you, didn't pre-cook the pasta. I like thicker mac and cheese and this wasn't (at least mine wasn't but yours look like it was) - what could I have done wrong?

    ReplyDelete