Lemon Pie by the Yard
Forget about making a dozen pies for a big gathering, just make one big one.
I recently hosted a BBQ and was looking for a dessert to serve 9 people but that wouldn't make me sit in the kitchen for too long, that's when I came across this wonderful recipe from the Mennonite Girls Can Cook blog. They are amazing.
recipe for two pie crusts
2 packages of lemon pie filling or double homemade
6 beaten egg whites for meringue
1/2 cup sugar for meringue
1. Pat pastry into rectangular shape, on floured surface then roll out to size of cookie sheet - actually a little more.
2. Roll up onto rolling pin and unroll unto cookie sheet. Trim edges where they are too high and add pieces where it is too low. (cut and paste)
3. Bake until golden at 400 F about 15 min.
4. Meanwhile, cook pie filling according to package instructions, or make homemade
5. Pour cooked filling into baked shell and let cool slightly while beating egg whites
6. Beat egg whites, gradually adding 1/2 cup sugar. Beat just until they are glossy and will stand up if dabbed with a spoon. Do not over-beat, because it will not spread nicely
7. Spread evenly onto pie crust, making sure the meringue touches the side crusts. For wave design, dab meringue with the back of a spoon.
8. Bake at 400 F for 7 - 8 min until golden.
Some like it served while still a little warm, but it does need to sit for several hours first. Refrigerate if not serving the same day. No need to cover, because the crust will keep better.
* NOTE - To keep meringue from sticking to knife while cutting, dip knife into hot water or run under hot tap water