Saturday, May 26, 2012

Chicken, Potatoes and Bacon Au Gratin

You could throw bacon on anything for me and I would be thrilled.  Well maybe except dessert, I'm sorry but I've seen some dessert recipes out there wrapped in bacon and I just can't bring myself to try.

It's not my thing.  LOL

Anyway, aside from bacon, I'm a huge potato fan, and I love cheese and cream and ooooohhhhhhh *drool*

When I saw this recipe over at Get Off Your Butt and Bake, I KNEW that I had to make it.  No if's, ands or buts about it.

And I'm glad I did, cause YUM!

Chicken, Bacon and



Chicken, Potatoes and Bacon Au Gratin



4 to 5 strips of crispy bacon
4 to 6 boneless boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 stick (cube) of margarine to brown the chicken in
1 cup of flour (for dredging the flour in)
About 5 – med to lg. potatoes
*enough to fill a 9×13 glass baking dih
 1 pint whipping cream- 2 cups
Salt and Pepper
 2 tsp. Parsley flakes
 2 cups grated cheddar cheese


 
Directions:
 Place bacon slices on a foil lined baking sheet.

Chicken, Bacon and

 Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and place bacon in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until bacon is crisp and brown.  Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate and pat away any remaining grease.  Set bacon aside for later.
While the bacon is cooking, brown the chicken breasts.  In a large skillet or electric fry pan, melt 1 stick of margarine.  (I use margarine, because butter burns too quickly)
Place 1 cup of flour into a baggie and season it with salt and pepper.  About 1/2 tsp of each will do.

Shake each piece of chicken in the seasoned flour until it’s well coated.  Place chicken pieces in skillet and brown until golden on each side.
Place browned chicken in a 9×13 ” glass baking pan.
Cut your potatoes into thin french fry strips, and lay the fries around the chicken (Arctic circle type of thin!)
Pour all of the cream over the top of the fries and the chicken. Salt and pepper a bit more.
Crumble bacon over the top.
Sprinkle at least 2 cups grated Cheddar Cheese over the top. Sprinkle Parsley flakes on top of the cheese.

Chicken, Bacon and

Spray the underside of the foil with pam or pan release, and cover the chicken and potatoes. Poke a fork through the top of the foil, 2 or 3 times to allow a little steam to escape. This way, your cream doesn’t boil over into your oven!
Cook at 400 degrees for about 1 hour, or until potatoes are tender.

Chicken, Bacon and

Place your oven rack in the middle of the oven to begin with.
For crispy potatoes:  During the last 15 or 20 minutes of baking lower your rack one more step. This makes the bottom of your potatoes, brown and crispy.


On this day:

In 2006:  Palmiers
In 2007: 
In 2008: 
In 2009: 
In 2010:  Cast Iron Beer Chicken
In 2011:  Pizza Sauce

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see you back here! This looks like one Bob would like. It has that magic ingredient - bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this last week and it was so good! The chicken was very tender and delicious!

    ReplyDelete