Tuesday, February 07, 2017

Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls


Sourdough bread is one of those things that I enjoy but don't always make, maybe because it involves having the sourdough starter and I don't remember to make it that often.

But once in a while, I get one going and then just keep it in the fridge and make bread and cinnamon rolls until it runs out.  Now you can keep feeding it, of course, but after about a week I'm done using mine and just prefer to restart again a few months later.

Last week I quickly threw together a starter, fed it and left it in my fridge.  I made a loaf in the bread machine, and then two days ago I started a sourdough bread and cinnamon roll dough.

I've shared the recipe for the sourdough starter and bread before, but here is the recipe for the cinnamon rolls.  This recipe is from one of my Amish Cookbooks, which I absolutely adore.

Enjoy!!!

Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls

Sourdough Cinnamon Roll
Makes 24 large rolls

Sourdough bread dough, prepared through first rise
6 tablespoons of butter or margarine, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon

ICING
1/3 cup margarine or butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/2 cup milk

After the dough has risen overnight, punch it down and divide in half, form two dough balls.
Take one ball of dough and roll it out as thin as you can on a floured surface.  Brush the dough with half of the melted butter.  Sprinkle half of the sugar and half of the cinnamon.

Roll up like a jelly roll, then cut each roll into 1/2 to 3/4 inch slices.  Place slices 1/2 inch apart in a greased jelly roll pan, cover with waxed paper.  Repeat with the second ball of dough.  Then let both  rise for 4 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Bake until golden brown about 20 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool slightly.

For the icing, mix butter with vanilla and 1 cup of powdered sugar.  Gradually add milk and remaining powdered sugar until smooth.  Drizzle over the rolls.

Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls

4 comments: