Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Roast Chicken!

This exactly how I make my roast chicken, so when I saw the recipe at Marie's blog I couldn't help but smile. I changed a few things from her recipe but it's pretty much the same.



*Perfect Slow Roasted Chicken*
serves 4


softened butter, for greasing the pan and chicken
1 medium to large sized corn fed organic chicken
2 heads of garlic, halved crosswise
sea salt and cracked black pepper
3 1/2 ounces white wine
3 1/2 ounces chicken stock
2 springs of fresh rosemary
6 bay leaves
1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges

Pre-heat the oven to 325*F. Grease a large roasting tin with softened butter and then rub the chicken all over with some more softened butter.

Place the chicken in the pan. Place the halved garlic heads in as well. Sprinkle it all with some sea salt and cracked black pepper. Squeeze the lemon wedges over all and then throw them into the pan as well. Mix together the chicken stock and white wine and drizzle it over. Cover everything with a large sheet of aluminum foil, sealing it tightly, and then place it into the pre-heated oven.

Roast for one hour. Remove it from the oven and take off the foil and discard. Add the rosemary and the bay leaf. Return to the oven and roast, uncovered for another 50 minutes.

Turn the oven temperature up to 425*F. Roast for 30 minutes longer. Remove from the oven and cover loosely, let rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.

I served mine with white rice, ladled some of the gravy from the pan on top and also served a simple salad with it.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. My recipe is really similar too - from my grandma - maybe our grandma's hung out together. Her applesauce cake recipe is even really similar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your blog when I am looking for meal ideas... I have to ask, how on earth do you use your oven in the summer in AZ?! My menus have been boring because using my oven requires me to turn on the A/C and our bill was $350 last month!! I was just tellng my husband how I can't wait until I can use the oven again!

    ReplyDelete