Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Homemade Olive Garden Bread Sticks

I love a good bread stick but it's not always easy to find one that I enjoy.  Some are either too hard or too soft or just not tasty enough for my liking.

Homemade Bread Sticks

One of the bread sticks I do enjoy are the ones they serve at Olive Garden, they seem to have just the right amount of everything.

Truthfully though, we don't go out to eat at restaurants that often and I can say that the last time I was at Olive Garden was about 6 or 7 years ago.  I know, I know, shocking.

If you search online there are quite a few recipes for bread sticks and some even copy cat recipes for major restaurants and fast food places.

But the one I use which we all just love, is the recipe from The Misadventures of Mrs B.  These are phenomenal!

Quick note though.....I think the salt in the basting sauce is a LITTLE too much for my family's liking...if you don't like a lot of salt, just use 1 teaspoon instead of the 2 recommended.


Homemade Bread Sticks

Olive Garden Bread Sticks 
Credit:  The Misadventures of Mrs B.

1 1/2 cups warm water (between 110 - 120 degrees F)
1 package active dry yeast
4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt

In a large bowl, dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water and allow to sit for 10 minutes, covered. Mixture should be frothy.

In separate bowl, combine flour and salt.


Homemade Bread Sticks

Add to yeast mixture. Add melted butter. Mix with paddle attachment of stand mixer or wooden spoon until fully combined.


Homemade Bread Sticks

Knead dough for a few minutes just until dough is smooth. Do not overknead!


Homemade Bread Sticks

Grease a cookie sheet. Pull off pieces of dough and roll out into strips.


Homemade Bread Sticks

Now, I tend to make pretty thick breadsticks so I normally end with around 10 or so, but I'm sure that if you rolled yours out more thinly you'd have at least a dozen.


Homemade Bread Sticks

Cover the dough and let sit in a warm place for 45 minutes to an hour.

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and once heated, pop in the bread sticks. In microwave, combine the following:

1 stick unsalted butter (or 1/2 cup margarine)
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons salt

After 6 or 7 minutes, brush the bread sticks with half the butter mixture.


Homemade Bread Sticks

Then continue to bake. Honestly, I almost never leave them in there for an entire 15 minutes - normally it's closer to 12 because I like them softer and less crisp on the outside, but to each their own. Either way, immediately upon removal from the oven brush the other half of the butter on the sticks.


Homemade Bread Sticks

Allow them to cool for a minute or two, and enjoy!

Homemade Bread Sticks

36 comments:

  1. YUMMY!!! Gotta give these a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband is going to love me even more!

    momofmanyhats.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look yummy! OG is an hour from me so I will give these a try, hanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these last night and they were delicious! It was my first time baking anything with a home made dough, so mistakes were definitely made. I didn't really get it at first that you're supposed to use more flour in order to knead the dough, so it started out pretty messy and I may have over-kneaded (if that's possible?). Also, my cookie sheet is small so the bread sticks were very close together. By the time they were done I had to cut them to separate them. Those are the only problems I encountered that I'm aware of. Overall, the ones I made were more dense than light and fluffy like the ones from Olive Garden probably due to a mistake I made, but the flavor was exactly what I remember. I'll definitely be trying this recipe again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meri - probably too much flour. the key to light and fluffy is not to add too much flour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing! The bread was delicious, but the butter topping was a bit too salty for me - I will leave most of the salt out next time. I love a quick yeast recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am making these for the third time in two weeks! haha My husband LOVED them. The first time I made them with all white flour and the second time I made them with half white wheat flour. He still loved them. Tonight I am trying half white flour, half wheat flour. We'll see how they turn out but so far they are looking and smelling SO good! :) Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay I made these with half wheat flour and half white flour and they were even better then all white flour! They were delicious. The only change I did was I didn't do a full 4 1/2 cups flour. I did more like 4 1/4 cup. They were super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have made these twice now and both times they were super dense. I guess I will try less flour, but other than that they are amazing. On the second try I only used about a tsp of salt and it was just right.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Found you via Pinterest! I love all your simple recipes! Thanks for putting them all in one location!


    Now Following!

    ~Mikey @ Shabby French Cottage
    www.shabbyfrenchcottage.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Made these tonight, thanks for the recipe! Just a few questions....did you sift the flour first? Is it 1 1/4 cups of sifted flour? And for the yeast, was it one of the little 8g packages? My breadsticks came out super heavy and dense....not sure why. Thanks for your help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these breadsticks! Thanks for sharing the recipe - I posted about in on my blog, gave you credit and linked back. :) In case you're interested: http://cookingmisadventures.com/2012/01/21/olive-garden-breadsticks-copycat/ :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. have you tried making the dough ahead of time and refrigerating/freezing it until needed? do you know what the best way to do that would be?

    ReplyDelete
  15. OG's bread sticks have gone way down hill in the last few years. Certainly not as flavorful and every bit like dough that has been frozen, thawed, cooked and then reheated so their basically stale texture. I'm sure you wouldn't recognize them even if you did venture into their restaurant again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks and sounds awesome. I know what I'll be making for Friday's dinner party!
    Thanks,
    Jerry
    bakingwithjerry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm Nejla from Turkey.. I tried this recipe and it was awesome delicioussssssss.. Check out : http://fullbellies.blogspot.com/2011/05/homemade-olive-garden-bread-sticks.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are right! These are delicious.
    I have made them numerous times now. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
    Yum!!!

    I linked this post to a pinterest party link up that I did.
    :)
    http://aaaplusone.blogspot.com/2012/05/pinterest-post-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. printableolivegardencoupons.org has never didn't deliver sensible food and outstanding customer service to its customers. Fine, quality food and outstanding service make Olive Garden one of the leading restaurant chains within the country. If you're thinking of the best place to celebrate you’re special milestones or a romantic place for a date, you will positively realize the interiors of Olive Garden to be the best setting for these occasions. and this place can additionally build you are feeling like you are indeed dining and drinking in an exceedingly classic Italian winery.
    printableolivegardencoupons.org/olive-garden-locations/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Will make these for supper tonight. What better bread to ave with Cheese Filled Manicotti? Recipe is on box of Ronzoni manicotti. Can't wait to start and get cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I found these on pinterest, and I am definitely making them. Bookmarked ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just made these and they were AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Seriously, these breadsticks are the bomb! They are the closest recipe that I've made to Olive Garden breadsticks and I'd venture to say that they are even better. Great job and such a simple recipe. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This recipe. Tonight. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks yummmy! I will have I try them!

    Katrina
    Www.youngnasahousewife.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I made these tonight and they were amazing!! My husband and I both thought they were better than Olive Garden's! Thanks for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Made these the other night. While I did think they were a little heavy/dense (i think i should have sifted more) we still thought they were delicious and will definitely make them again.

    ReplyDelete
  28. so when i made them they were flat on the bottom (like a cookie) not the pretty round all the way around like the ones in the photo. is that a result of no wax/parchment paper?

    ReplyDelete
  29. My kids and I made these today, they were easy and fun to make together!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Usually after mixing and kneading, I let it rise until double, then deflate, and divide each piece. Then I roll them and let them rise again for the 45 minutes, then bake. I find this way they're not dense and are much softer. This is an excellent recipe though! Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. How many breadsticks does this make?

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is my very first time that I am visiting here and I’m truly pleasurable to see everything at one place.http://outbacksavings.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I made this recipe for the first time ever and oh my they were amazing! So delicious! And they taste a heck of a lot like olive garden's breadsticks! I will keep this recipe and continue to use it from now on! My husband and my 4 year old son couldn't get enough of these.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I tried this recipe and I used whole wheat flour instead. Although mine turned out a little dense they are still tasty. The next time I will use less whole wheat flour. This was a very easy recipe though and I look forward to trying this again. Recipes usually turn out better after a few times of trying them anyway, for me that is.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love this recipe i make in my family like the breasticks..

    ReplyDelete