Friday, October 03, 2008

Bolo de Bolacha - Portuguese Cookie Cake

One thing us portuguese people love is good food and even better desserts. This is one of those Portuguese desserts that everyone has at one point or another tried, I remember my greatgrandmother and my stepmom making it when I was growing up, then they taught me how to make it and I went through this stage where pretty much every week there was one being made. 

 

Problem is that it's so good it never lasted more than one day LOL I was craving it last week so after going grocery shopping I decided to get what I needed and surprise my kids. They've had it once before, still back when we were stationed in Idaho, so it's been a while.




BOLO DE BOLACHA 
 
2 packs of Maria Biscuits (you can find them in the Mexican section of your grocery store
2 cups of butter softened 
2 cups of powdered sugar 
1 egg strong coffee 
 
 
Mix butter and sugar until creamy,add the egg and beat until well incorporated. Set aside. 
 

Start dipping the cookies one at a time in the coffee, don't let them sit in there long, just a quick dip,then place on the serving plate in the shape of a flower. 



Do one layer of cookies, then spread a thin layer of the butter cream mixture.Repeat layers as high as you want to go. I used one and half packs of the Maria cookies.

 

Cover the whole cake with the remaining butter cream mixture.Take some of the remaining cookies and crumble them on to.




It's best when it's cold so make sure to keep it refrigerated.....ENJOY!

16 comments:

  1. Thanks, I just added your recipe blog to my growing list of favorites. Yummy, this is just to easy to make. I am going grocery shopping this Sat am, and I have bought those cookies many times, they are so good dipped in coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this looks good! Thanks for sharing L)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so unique and soooo delicious! I can't wait to try this. I just wish I knew how to pronounce it! haha!

    I just found your blog... and I am having so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandra, obrigada! My mom used to make a long time ago, I haven't had it in years. Thanks for sharing the recipe, I'll be making it soon. I sure enjoy my Portuguese food...lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandra,
    How many layers did you ultimately have at the end? It looks like maybe 7? Sounds like a sweet spin on tiramisu. I think almost every culture has some sort of coffee drenched cake recipe... yum

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness. I haven't seen this cake in so many years. My mom would make this for my birthday every year, even when we moved to the US and find bolacha maria wasn't as easy. She would always sprinkle it with the silver candied tiny balls. I'll have to make this for my husband. I think he'll really like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandra,
    I thought this looked really good and decided to try it out. I made it this morning and finally sat down to have a piece with tea after dinner. Oh my! It was delicious!!!!! I tried not to think about the 2 cups of butter I put in there ;o) This is a great dessert and I appreciate you sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a wonderful recipe. We moved to Portugal a couple of years ago and this is one of our favourite recipes. I think there is a certain likness to tiramisu although i must say we are certainly more partial to this! Now that we are running a bed and breakfast in the algarve I guess we will have to learn how to cook it properly for out guests! Thanks so much for this recipe, we will let you know how we get on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. but wait you don't cook it? don't you have to cook the egg?

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice
    im portuguese but suddenly i forgot the amounts of each ingredient
    eheheh

    thanks
    it looks lovely

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looked so good that i had to try it! I made a few modifications. I don't do coffee, so i used hot chocolate! Then i used a syrup made of melted mild chocolate chips - a bit similar to nutella in between the chips. With a whipped cream frosting, it looked the same and was loved by all the chocoholics at the party i took it too... Just in case you like chocolate! i may try it again....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sandra I made this for my family today and it was de-lish! Very economical too
    Adding it to my recipe binder.

    ReplyDelete
  13. English or Portuguese, this cake is really delicious and I love it, I've made the traditional with a twist, both in Portuguese and in English you must see.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will try this recipe today! I made the Milk Tartlets from your other recipe and found myself having to make them for 4 days in a row they were so popular! Great recipes and I am sure this was will be a hit as well. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks so tasty, besides that it seems so easy to make it, i like easy things. I will make it for our dessert on Easter Sunday...
    Happy Easter and thank you so much for posting this Recipes. God bless you and wish you more success

    ReplyDelete