Saturday, April 16, 2011

Pineapple Mousse

It's hot here in Arizona, and I mean HOT already as in the upper 90's.

When the weather gets warm I love cool citrusy food or desserts, for me there's nothing like fruity ice pop, oranges and lemons and lemonade and lemon pie and all that kinda stuff.

Pineapple Mousse

The dessert I'm about to share with you is one that I love but I admit that I haven't made it in many many years.  I misplaced the recipe and kept forgetting to ask my stepmother for it, I finally did and wrote it down and this time I won't be losing it.

I remember growing up, she used to make this delicious mousse on hot summer days and special occasions, I even recall once or twice requesting it for my birthday instead of a cake.

It's super easy to fix and I promise you will love it and boy does it taste refreshing eaten outside on the patio :)

Pineapple Mousse


Pineapple Mousse - Mousse the Ananas


1 can pineapple chunks (I used the one I had on hand which turned out to be crushed pineapple)
1 box pineapple jello (I haven't been able to find any around here, so I substituted for a lemon jello which works great too)
1 can condensed milk
4 eggs, separated


Drain the pineapple can into a medium saucepan, set the pineapple chunks aside and reserve.  Since I only had the crushed pineapple, I poured the can into a strainer and pressed with a plastic spoon to get as much of the syrup as I could.

Pineapple Mousse

Add the packet of jello and stir well over low heat.  Do NOT let it boil.  In the meantime, beat the egg whites in your kitchenaid until stiff.  (I like to turn on the kitchenaid and let it just run for me while I prepare the rest of the mousse)

In a bowl, beat together the condensed milk and the 4 egg yolks, until creamy.  Add to the saucepan and stir all well, stir slowly though and again don't let it boil.   Remove from heat.

Add in the pineapple chunks and stir to combine.

Pour the prepared mixture into a large glass bowl.  Fold in the egg whites carefully until everything is combined well.

Pineapple Mousse

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 2 to 3 hours until set.

Pineapple Mousse

I think it's time to go have another little bowl, this stuff is addicting but oh so good.  Enjoy!

Pineapple Mousse

3 comments:

  1. Sandra this does sound wonderful, but I have a question. Are you able to taste the eggs or eggwhites at all? I am VERY sensitive to the taste of raw eggs.

    Blessings, lori s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori, truthfully I don't taste it at all. The only thing you can really taste is the pineapple, but then again I'm not sensitive to the taste of raw eggs. My hubby on the other hand can't stand eggs and he loves this stuff.

    Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete