Saturday, July 20, 2013

Runza Casserole

A specialty from Nebraska, the Runza is quite popular in the State.  But if you're not from Nebraska, chances are you've never heard of it and didn't even know it existed.

Runza Casserole

I'm one of those people, I had no clue it existed until a friend of mine mentioned them.  So I went online, did a little search here and there and found the Runza's, which are originally a bread dough filled with a delicious meat filling featuring cabbage.

I LOVE cabbage.  Just wanted to get that out of the way.

After doing a little more searching I started seeing the Runza Casserole pop up all over the place and I just knew that I had to try it.

Let me tell you that my kids loved it and never even noticed the cabbage in there.  Definitely going on my Casserole List.


Runza Casserole
Runza Casserole
Adapted from:  Busy Bee


2 cans of crescent rolls
1 Pounds of Ground beef
2 Cups of Cabbage (I used shredded cabbage in a bag)
1/2 Cup of Onion
1 Can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
Garlic powder
Salt to taste
Shredded Mozzarella or Swiss Cheese


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Brown meat in large skillet, drain and return to skillet. Add cabbage, onion, garlic powder and salt, let it cook for a minute or two until cabbage is soft. Add the mushroom soup, stir well.

Grease baking dish, unroll one of the cans of crescent rolls and press into the bottom of the dish. Top with the ground beef and cabbage mixture. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.

Unroll second can of crescent roll, place over the beef mixture. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Runza Casserole

4 comments:

  1. This is a new one for me...sounds great! Like you, I love cabbage and will definitely make this. Side note: At the top of your blog what is the recipe in the right corner..looks like maybe chicken, bacon and cheese?! It looks so good! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm tiring it! Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! Finally found the recipe I was looking for....making very soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What size pan did you use for the Runz?

    ReplyDelete