Monday, October 18, 2021

Bolo Bem Casado - Well Married Cake

Bolo Bem Casado

Think of a divine cake, vanilla, spongy, soft, with this dulce de leche filling.  I think it may be one of the easiest cakes to make, but one of the most delicious you'll ever eat.

The name is quite funny, if you translate it word for word from Portuguese to English, it will mean Well Married Cake.  Yep!!!

Which I can understand because the cake layer together with the caramel flavor of the dulce de leche, makes the perfect combination.

Bolo Bem Casado

I have been trying to make more easy, different desserts, for our weekends.  For that purpose, I've been tapping into my Portuguese and Brazilian roots, and bringing to life favorite recipes from long ago.  

The kind that were passed down from generation to generation, or even the one dessert that you remember eating as a child.  

I have many that my great grandmother used to make for us, and I wish more than anything that she was still around to help me in the kitchen, and to continue sharing with me her experience, trust and tried recipes and so on.

I may not have her, but I do have many of her recipes.  Can't wait to bring them here to the blog and share them with you all.


Bolo Bem Casado

Bolo Bem Casado 


For the cake:
4 eggs
1 and a half cups of sugar
3/4 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 and a half cups of all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 cup of water

For the Dulce de Leche:
I cooked a can of condensed milk (please look online on how to do it, I used my instant pot for mine)
 
For the drizzle:
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Beat the eggs with the sugar until soft and pale yellow.  Add in the oil, vanilla and beat well for another minute.  Next, add in the flour, baking powder and water, and combine until well incorporated.

Pour into a greased 13 x 9 inch pan.    Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center, comes out dry.

Remove from oven and set aside until completely cooled.  Then remove from pan, and slice in half to create two layers.

Place one of the layers back in pan, then spread the cooked condensed milk (dulce de leche) over it.  Top with the remaining layer.

In a small saucepan, add the water, sugar and vanilla extract.  Mix well and then bring to a boil, and simmer for 10 minutes.  Remove from heat.   Drizzle onto the cake, making sure to cover it well, then pour any remaining syrup into the sides of the pan so the cake absorbs it.

Sprinkle on powdered sugar.  Enjoy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment