Monday, April 16, 2007

Portuguese Bread Rolls (Papo Secos)



10 cups flour (more or less)
1 tablespoon salt
2 packages active dry yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup margarine
3 1/2-4 cups lukewarm water
1 1/2 teaspoons shortening


Ingredients:

Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of the lukewarm water with 1/2 tsp sugar added, let stand for 5 minutes or until doubled in size.

Place in large bowl, add enough flour to make a batter, cover with a cloth and blanket, and let stand until it forms bubbles and looks lumpy.

Add remaining ingredients, mix well and knead for about 10 minutes or until smooth.

Add more flour if dough is too soft.

Cover with the cloth and blanket and let stand in warm place until doubled in size.

On floured board, using about 1/3 cup dough for each roll, shape into round balls.

Let shaped rolls rest on a cloth.

After all rolls are shaped, beginning with first shaped rolls, flatten each with palm of hand, making an indent in the middle with the side of your hand, and fold in half.

Lay each on a cloth with open side down.

Let rolls rest for 5 minutes.

Place rolls on baking sheet with open side up, and brush with milk.
Bake in preheated 500F oven for 10-15 minutes.

12 comments:

  1. Que blog tão bem organizado. Magnífico!
    Quanto aos papo secos, há sítios em Portugal onde têm o nome de carcaças. Mas papo secos é um nome mais bonito ( e eu já conhecia).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plese go quickly take the badge of Blogger's Choice Awards because I nominated you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant - I've been scouring the web for this recipe! How many papo-secas does this make?

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH how your blog brought back memories - my mom is portugeuse and so I grew up with all of these!! My youngest is a fan of arroz pudim and is always asking me to make it! The papo secos though are the best thing I could have found we are all fans and so have earned major brownie points for making them! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are terrific,but, the bottoms always burn! The tops are beautiful. The temp. must be too hot. When I first made them they stuck to the pan. Then I tried using parchment paper. They don't stick to the pan , but they are still black on the bottom. If I lower the temp. how long do I bake them for? Help!

    ReplyDelete
  6. when do you add the salt, margarine and the rest of the sugar? Somehow they have been omitted...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for this recipe. These are my favorite food!
    I can't wait to make these tomorrow.

    One question: What type of flour do you use?
    Thanks,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this recipe. I want to know one thing: What type of flour do you use ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is my 1st attempt to make these rolls from scratch...so glad I found this recipe. What kind of flour do you use and approx.how long will it take for the dough to double in size? I am in the process of making them now. They are in the bowl rising. Also I used yeast but it didnt say dry yeast. Is that going to make a big difference...I think I let it do what i was supposed to do..not sure tho. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  11. well they came out delicious!! not so Portuguese as I had hoped though. The smell of bread/rolls baking was great! I will definitely try this again and use dry yeast as stated:)

    ReplyDelete