Monday, July 13, 2009

Buttery Pound Cake

My husband was craving a cake yesterday afternoon so I whipped up this delicious buttery pound cake, it has a brown sugar glaze and inside a layer of thinly sliced apples, with spices like cinnamon and nutmeg it's just so good.


2009_07120055

BUTTERY POUND CAKE

1/2 c. plus 1/3 c. brown sugar, packed and divided
1/2 c. chopped pecans, toasted
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. ground nutmeg
3/4 c. plus 2 T. butter, softened and divided
1 1/2 c. sugar
3 eggs
3 c. all purpose flour
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 c. sour cream
2 t. vanilla extract, divided
1 1/2 c. apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
2 T. milk


Combine 1/3 cup brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small bowl; set aside.

Beat 3/4 cup butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add 1 1/2 cups sugar, beating 5 to 7 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until yellow disappears.

2009_07120016

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in another bowl. Add sour cream and flour mixture; beat at a low speed after each addition just until mixture is blended. Stir in one teaspoon vanilla.

2009_07120017

2009_07120019

Spoon half of batter into a greased and floured 12-cup Bundt pan. Arrange apple slices over batter, then spoon half of brown sugar mixture over apples; gently press into batter.

2009_07120020

Top with remaining batter, then sprinkle with remainning brown sugar mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.

2009_07120041

Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until butter starts to brown. Remove from heat and stir in remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, milk and one teaspoon vanilla. Stir until smooth; drizzle glaze evenly over cake. Serves 16.

2009_07120030

8 comments:

  1. sandra, this looks so delich..
    thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra We honestly love you ;-) And Thank You Curt for requesting a cake!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness!! This looks amazing!! I have never seen a pound cake like this, but I just HAVE to try this one.
    Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandra,
    I don't think I have ever commented before so I just wanted to tell you that I love your blog--I can't tell you the number of recipes of yours that we have tried. They are so good--love the step by step pictures as it helps my daughter make your recipes too. Thanks for sharing your blog and recipes. I am a "retired military" wife--I miss sharing recipes with people from around the world--I miss the sound of the jets flying over and the commissary and the camaraderie of the bases. Thanks again. Sheila in NC

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH my that looks yummy!
    sandy toe

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I might just have to whip this up tonight. I have a few apples looking for a cake to jump into. :)

    How on earth do you bake during the day while it's 112* outside? Seriously... It's hot out yet you still impress. :)

    Allie

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Oh My! This looks awesome. I'll have to try this one in the fall when it cools down a little. I don't have air conditioning so I don't bake much in the summer.
    I do just LOVE your white collander, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete