Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Roasting a Pumkin

I have pumpkins laying around the house. Big and little ones and in between and it's that time of the year for me to roast them up and freeze the puree for pie, muffins, breads etc.

I'm sure that most of you know how to roast a pumpkin but just in case someone out there doesn't, this is how I do mine.


1 - Did you know that the smaller pumpkins are sweeter and the best ones for pies? I always use the little ones that weigh between 2-4 lbs.


2. Wash the pumpkin well to remove any dirt

3. On a cutting board, I remove the stem, then cut the Pumpkin in half


4. I then use a metal spoon and scoop out the insides and the seeds. (you can roast the seeds if you like or just throw them out.)

5. I then lay the pumpkin face down in a 13 x 9 baking dish or use a bigger one depending on the size of the pumpkins.

6. Fill with water about 1/4 of the way up

7. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes.

8. When does, scoop the inside out and discard the skin.

9. I let mine cool down and then put it in ziploc bags or tupperware to freeze until I need it.

10. If you keep it in the refrigerator it will last about 5 days.

3 comments:

  1. Wow..I didn't know you could do that!
    sandy toe

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the info. I have a bunch of pumpkins laying around and I need to do something with them fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i used your method and it worked beautifully. thanks for the info

    ReplyDelete