Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Oven Chicken and Rice

This is a dish I make quite often, my children love it even with the veggies.


2010_02160007

OVEN CHICKEN AND RICE

8 chicken thighs
1 chourico, sliced
1 medium carrot, sliced
garlic
olive oil
salt and pepper
2 tbsp tomato paste
beef stock
rice
sweet peas


In a large skillet, add a little bit of olive oil and the garlic. Cook until the garlic starts crackling, add the chicken thighs and cook for a few minutes on each side until brown.

2010_02160001

2010_02160002

Add the sliced carrots and chourico, cook for another 5 or so minutes.

Add the tomato paste, salt and pepper to taste and the beef stock. I just eyeball it, you need enough liquid in there to make a good amount of gravy and to cook the rice in. (I made 1 and a half cups of rice, so I added about 3 cups of beef stock).

2010_02160003

Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, keep checking the skillet to make sure you don't run out of liquid.

Remove the chicken to a separate dish, then take out the bones and cut it into big chunks.

2010_02160005

Add the rice and the peas and cook until the rice is done, add the chicken to the skillet, mix well and then pour everything into a pyrex dish.

Pop in the oven for about 20 to 25 minutes. Enjoy!

2010_02160008

5 comments:

  1. Where are you able to find chourico? I make linguica all the time, but after buying chourico in the Azores, Portugal when spending time with family I really like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, that looks fabulous Sandra! Would spanish chorizo work do you think??

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks wonderful.
    Could you tell me, what is chourico?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious!

    I'd probably use chorizo too I've not heard of chourico.

    I've saved this to make soon!! Mmmm, my mouth is watering. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say, the effort you put on those photos bringing unbelievable effect! You are inspiring:o)

    ReplyDelete