Saturday, December 17, 2011

Homemade Powdered Sugar

Did you know that you can make Powdered Sugar at home?

Did you know that it is extremely easy?

Did you know that next time you're in the kitchen baking and you realize you are out of powdered sugar, you do NOT have to run to the store or put the recipe away for another day?

Well I will be honest and tell you that I didn't know, any of those things, until I ran out of Powdered Sugar one day and was determined to make the recipe if it killed me.  So I went looking for a recipe, because, you know, you can pretty much make everything at home so why not powdered sugar?  I was completely ready to not find one and then I did, over at Whole New Mom.  I LOVE that site, you have got to go over and check it out, she has some of the best recipes and homemade mixes you can find.

For more hints, tips, and info on Powdered sugar and sugar substitutes check out her original post.

Here we go, you'll totally kick yourself when you realize how easy it is.....

2011_12170004

Powdered Sugar

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups granulated sweetener of choice (I used white sugar)
1 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot (I used cornstarch)

Method

1.  Place the sweetener and either cornstarch or arrowroot into your blender.

2.  Blend on high continuously until the mixture is of uniform powdered consistency.

3.  Keep the lid on the blender until the powder settles.

That is it!  That is IT folks, did I not tell you this was super easy?  No more crying when you run out, you can totally make it yourself and trust me, it works just as well as the stuff you buy at the store, matter of fact, I'm using some homemade powdered sugar right now for the Peppermint Patties I'm making.

Would you like the recipe to those as well?

5 comments:

  1. I had no idea it was this easy! I feel silly about all the trips I've made just for powdered sugar, especially when I've had everything to make it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How simple is that!! Def. going to do this next time I run out... which happens too often! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHHHHHHHMMMYYYYYYYYYWWWWWOOORRRRDDDDDD!!!!! I can't even express how excited I am about this!! Seriously! what a dork I am! but super excited! I'm always having one of those 'ugh!-hand to forehead moments' when I run out of confectioner's sugar!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I *just* ran out at like 10pm for powdered sugar last month when I was making a birthday cake! Add me to the list of people ridiculously excited about this!!!!! Bet it's tons cheaper than buying it at the store, too. Yay!

    ReplyDelete