Four Loaf White Bread
Here is the recipe for the White Bread loaves I baked today.
I made 3 loaves of the white and then turned the 4th into Cinnamon Raisin Bread. This bread is fantastic, easy to make and freezes really well too.
Four Loaf White Bread
- 1-1/2 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water, 95 to 110 degrees F
- 2-2/3 cups warm water, 95 to 110 degrees F
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 3 Tbsp shortening
- 9 to 10 cups bread flour, about
- In large bowl, dissolve yeast with 3/4 cup warm water. Add the remaining amount of warm water, sugar, and salt. Stir until dissolved. Add shortening and 4 cups of flour. Mix well. Slowly add the remaining amount of flour until dough is formed. You may or may not use the full amount of flour.
- Turn dough out onto floured board. Knead dough for about 10 minutes, adding more flour by the tablespoon, if necessary. Grease a large bowl. Put the bread dough into the bowl and then turn the dough over so that the top of the dough is greased. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and let the dough rise at room temperature until double in size or about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn it out onto a floured board and knead out all the bubbles for about 5 minutes. Divide the dough into four equal parts. Form each quarter into a loaf by rolling the dough into a rectangle. Roll the dough up like a jellyroll. Pinch seam closed. Pinch and tuck edges under the loaf. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 4 loaf pans or two baking sheets. Spread a light layer of yellow cornmeal on the loaf pans or baking sheets, if desired. Set loaves in 9 x 5-inch pans or two loaves on each baking sheet, cover with clean kitchen towel, and allow to rise until double in size or for about a half hour. If desired, beat the white of one medium egg and a tablespoon of water in a small bowl. Brush egg white on top of loaves after they have risen. Sprinkle tops with poppy or sesame seeds.
- Bake breads for about 45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove breads from oven and turn out loaves onto rack. Allow loaves to cool completely before freezing.
For the cinnamon raisin bread. I prefer to have the sugar/cinnamon/raisin mixture inside and not in the dough. I have some family members that do not like raisins and this is much easier for them to remove.
Great as toast for breakfast.