Thursday, March 07, 2013

Las Chalupas

This one comes from one of Sandra Lee's Cookbooks.  I love easy meals and even though I usually cook everything from scratch, once in a while I like to put together a quick meal using items I already have on hand, packaged, bottled, ready to go.

Las Chalupas

These are so good, and quite filling too, and I didn't overfill the tortillas because I made 8 and the recipe calls for 6 so the meat filling wouldn't be enough.  It still worked out pretty well.

A few don't have to deep fry the tortillas to make them crispy, and you could totally substitute tostada shells which I plan on trying next time.   I didn't have any issues with having to drain the meat after it's cooked because the taco seasoning absorbed all the liquid.

I adapted the recipe slightly to suit our needs.

Las Chalupas
Las Chalupas
Source:  Sandra Lee Food Network

1 pound ground beef
1 package taco seasoning
2/3 cup salsa

1/4 cup canola oil
4 to 6 flour tortillas

4-cheese Mexican blend
Shredded lettuce
Chopped tomatoes
Sour cream

In a skillet over medium heat, brown meat. Add taco seasoning and salsa.  Add a little water if mixture is too dry. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.

In another skillet, heat Canola over medium-high heat. Fry flour tortilla shells flat until crispy on both sides.  Place tortillas on a flat plate. Cover in meat, then cover meat with cheese, and melt cheese under broiler, about 2 minutes.

Las Chalupas

Remove plate and cover cheese with shredded lettuce, then tomatoes. Place dollops of sour cream in center.

Las Chalupas


  1. One of my favorite things to prepare and eat.

  2. This is how I make mine, too. I really think that frying the tortillas lightly is what makes all the difference in the world.