Wednesday, March 04, 2020

Mexican Bolillos

_MG_7571

A typical Portuguese breakfast for me, is a cup of coffee, a bread roll with butter or ham and cheese and then dipped into that hot coffee.  It may sound gross but I have always dipped my sandwiches into my coffee and it's something that when I do, takes me immediately back to my childhood in Portugal.

However, it is quite difficult for me to find proper bread rolls where I live, and the only ones that kind of come close, are the Mexican Bolillos.  I try to always have a bag of these on hand.  Although, does anything beat fresh bread bought early in the morning, from your local bakery?  I think not.

I've been searching for roll recipes for a while.  I have yet to find one that always turns out or is exactly like the much loved Portuguese rolls.  I do have a recipe here on the blog already, and you can certainly give those a go if you wish.

This recipe turned out pretty well, and I think I may use it when I'm in the mood for home baked bolillos, but I am still on the search for that one recipe that makes me go TA DA, that's it.  I'll let you know if and when I find it.


_MG_7570

Mexican Bolillos


500 g unbleached all-purpose white flour (3 cups + 2 Tbsp)
10 g dry active yeast (1.5 tsp)
10 g Salt (1 tsp)
10 g sugar (1 tsp)
300 ml 110F hot water (43C, 1 1/4 cup)



Add dry ingredients to the bowl of your stand mixer and whisk on low until well combined.
Add hot water (I use the hottest water out of my faucet, as soon as it starts getting too hot for me to keep my hand under the hot running water, that tends to be just right).

Attach the dough hook to the stand mixer and knead the dough for about 15 minutes on low.
Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and let the dough rise to double its size. Depending on the room temperature this will take anywhere between 25-50 minutes.

Once the dough doubled in size, remove it from the bowl and place on a clean floured working surface to roll out, fold, roll out, fold, roll out etc. until the dough becomes smooth and elastic.
Form a big ball and let rest for about 10 minutes.

In the meantime, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Now cut the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll into "bolillo form". Then place on lined baking sheet.
Once all bolillos are formed, slice about 1/2" deep in the middle with a sharp knife and spray or brush with water.

Cover the bolillos with a clean kitchen towel and let the dough rise a second time for about 45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 450 F (230C) at least 20 minutes before the rolls have to go in the oven.
Spray the bolillos a again with a little bit of water and put in the oven for 15 minutes.

Let cool for a couple of minutes only and enjoy warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment