Wednesday, March 04, 2020

Bolo de Milho (Brazilian Cornmeal Cake )

_MG_7569

There is a special moment in every day life, when you're Portuguese that is, that you have this thing called "lanche".

It is typically in the afternoon between lunch and dinner, and is comprised of a cup of coffee or tea and a slice of cake, some fresh bread with butter, or a sandwich etc.

There really isn't a translation to the word and it's not something that I see many other countries doing, unless in Europe, or Brazil.  It is certainly not something done in America where I've lived for the last 21 years.

But, it is something I try to hold on to as part of my heritage, and really, who says no to a slice of yummy cake mid afternoon?

I try to make a cake every few days, my family has gotten used to it and almost expect it.  When one is finished, I start thinking about which to make next.

This cake that I'm sharing today is certainly one of my favorites, although not a fave or even liked by my son Nicholas, who can not stand cornbread or cornmeal of any kind.  To him, it's a texture thing, and I get that as corn does have that unique texture, almost grit to it, but I absolutely love it.

_MG_7567

Typically you would add guava paste.  It is very similar to the Marmelada that we make with the Quince fruit, but using Guava instead.  You can find it at Walmart and local ethnic stores.

Basically you just cut it into small cubes and gently drop them into the cake batter before baking.  I didn't have any guava paste on hand, so I substituted with half teaspoon drops of raspberry jam.  It still turned out phenomenal.    This step is optional though, and you don't have to add anything to the corn cake, it is equally delicious without.

Give it a try and let me know what you think.

_MG_7562

Bolo de Milho (Brazilian Cornmeal Cake)



1 cup flour
1 cup Corn Meal (I like using yellow, but you can use white corn meal too)
1 tbsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
1cup sugar
2 eggs
½ cup Vegetable Oil
1 cup milk
Guava Paste cut into half inch cubes, or jam of your choice (optional)



Heat oven to 350°F.   Grease a cake pan, bundt or 13x9.  Set aside.

In a mixer bowl, beat eggs and sugar until creamy and pale yellow.  Add the oil and milk.

In a separate bowl, mix together flour, salt, corn meal and baking powder.  Add to egg mixture and mix until smooth.

Pour batter into greased cake pan.  If adding guava paste or jam, gently drop around the cake batter.  They will likely sink to the bottom, but that is ok.  Bake for about 30 minutes, until the cake starts pulling away from the sides, or a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.

Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.  If using bundt pan, invert cake onto plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment