Saturday, August 28, 2010

Sun Tea

Iced Tea

Does that not make your mouth water?

I love iced tea or sweet tea as some of you may call it. There's always an endless supply of it in my refrigerator and it never lasts long in this house.

I make it the traditional way by boiling water and adding the tea bags, I make it using the powdered tea when I'm in a hurry and have no time to waste......and lately while trying to make the best of these hot Arizona days, I've been making Sun Tea.

You may have never heard of it, it's pretty much a Southern thing but the minute I came upon this different way of making Iced Tea, I knew I just had to try it.

It's different than normal Iced Tea in that it's a more subtle mellow taste, it's not as strong, but it's really delicious.


Iced Tea

Sun Tea


4-6 tea bags



Put 4 to 6 tea bags into a clean 2 quart glass container. Fill with water and cap. Place outside where the sunlight can strike the container for about 3 to 4 hours. Move the container if necessary to keep it in the sun. When the tea has reached its desired strength, remove from sun and put it in the refrigerator. You may or may not want to remove the tea bags at this point. (I always remove mine)

The tea will probably taste more mellow than what you are used to from using boiling water. The slow seeping has a way of bringing out a slightly different flavor from the tea. Also, because you didn't use boiling water, you should refrigerate the tea and drink it up pretty quickly - a day or two. It will not keep as well as iced tea made from boiling water.

You can add in some mint leaves or I usually add in lemon, orange or lime slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment