Friday, May 04, 2012

No Bake Energy Bites

When someone in this household needs to eat healthy, for whatever reason it may be, the whole family jumps in and helps.

My husband being military means that every 6 months he has the PT test he has to pass, so about a month before, he really starts cranking up his running/exercising routine and his healthy eating, which means cutting out junk food, eating healthier and adding a lot more fruit and veggies to the mix.

Not that we don't eat healthy or include salads whenever possible, but we just go the extra mile.

2012_05040019

Snacking is by far the hardest part of eating a balanced diet, because too often I would rather reach for chips or cookies than an apple.  That is where these healthy bites come in.

Healthy, yummy and we don't feel as guilty eating them.

You can find the recipe by doing a quick google search online, honestly I don't remember where I got this one from, I've been making it for a while now.

2012_05040020

No Bake Energy Bites
(makes 18-20 bites)


1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup peanut butter (or other nut butter)
1/3 cup honey
1 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

2012_05040012

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Pop in the fridge for about 30 minutes and then pull out and roll into bite size balls. Enjoy!

2012_05040014

To store, I keep mine in a mason jar in the fridge, they will keep for about a week, but good luck with that, mine are usually gone within a day.

2012_05040016

10 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried to make them without using the coconut? Me and my family don't like coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah the best part about these is that you can omit the coconut if you don't like it and add in anything else you do. I've added in sunflower seeds before, I've also added some cocoa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loooove these! Sometimes I use chia instead of the flax seed. I've added dried cranberries, too. So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! They sound yummy and can't wait to make a batch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to ask about coconut as we don't like it, and I see you've already answewred. They look good! The problem will be eating just 1 or 2. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make these at least once a week. Great snacks and easy breakfast for the kids! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also, I found this on Pinterest and I've added different stuff like dried cranberries and used almond butter instead of peanut. Also I put crushed nuts into it once. Very versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pam in Siler City NCMay 4, 2012 at 7:20 AM

    Thanks so much! Think I'll substitute carob chips for the chocolate. Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes! Yum! And thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this recipe! Made them today and substituted chopped pecans for the coconut-yum! They make a great after school snack!

    ReplyDelete