- 12 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 pounds kielbasa (Polish) sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (26 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and set aside.
In a large skillet, brown the sausage in oil over medium heat.
Add the onions, zucchini, carrots and garlic;
cook and stir for 5-6 minutes or until crisp-tender.
Stir in spaghetti sauce and tomatoes.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
In each of two greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dishes, layer a fourth of the macaroni and meat sauce.
Combine the egg and ricotta cheese; spoon a fourth over sauce.
Sprinkle with a fourth of the cheddar and mozzarella cheeses and the green onions.
Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve one casserole. Cool second casserole; cover and freeze for up to 2 months.