I have no patience or energy to be in the kitchen today, my throat is really hurting and my body aches and I just want to go to bed, but alas, I can't until the family is taken care of and that includes cooking dinner.
So, something real quick using some wonderful Swiss Chard that my friend Katrina brought over from her garden.
Typically this recipe is made with Kale but when you don't have any available you can use Swiss Chard, Collards or even Turnip greens, but do try to get some Kale if you want to make it as close to the original as possible.
Trust me though, no matter which kind of greens you use, this soup will always turn out delicious. My children love it and can't get enough, it's the one soup that I see them truly enjoying and licking their lips.
Caldo Verde - Portuguese Green Soup
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
6 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
2 quarts cold water
1/2 lb chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons salt
ground black pepper, to taste
1 lb kale, rinsed and thin cut or julienne
1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook onion and garlic in 3 tablespoons olive oil for 3 or 4 minutes.
2. Stir in potatoes and cook, stirring constantly, 3 or 4 minutes more.
3. Pour in water, bring to a boil, and let boil gently for 20 minutes, until potatoes are real mushy.
4. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-low heat, cook sausage until it has release most of its fat, 10 minutes.
6. Mash potatoes or puree.
7. Add the sausage, salt and pepper into the soup and return to medium heat.
8. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
9. Just before serving, stir kale into soup and simmer, until kale is tender and jade green.
10. Stir in the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and serve at once.