Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Oreo Dessert

Oreo Dessert

Let's just say that this dessert was quite a mission to put together.  Not because it's difficult, or requires anything fancy, but merely for the fact that I forgot to buy one of the ingredients I needed for the recipe I was following, and then I went in search of similar recipes and couldn't find any that I could make.

I was always missing one ingredient or more.

I almost gave up, but I was really craving an Oreo dessert so I continued on the hunt, thankfully finding one that I knew I could make, just had to adapt slightly as I had no chocolate pudding, so I used vanilla instead.

Oreo Dessert
Oreo Dessert
Adapted from:  Brown Eyed Baker


For the Crust:
1 (15.35-ounce) package Double Stuff Oreo Cookies
½ cup butter, melted and slightly cooled

For the Cream Cheese Layer:
8 ounces cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
1 (8-ounce) tub Cool Whip

For the Pudding Layer:
1 (5.1-ounce) box instant chocolate pudding
3½ cups milk

For the Topping:
1 (8-ounce) tub Cool Whip

Directions:

1. Make the Crust: Place the Oreo cookies in a large ziploc bag and crush with a rolling pin. The pieces should be in small crumbs, but still a little chunky, not completely fine crumbs. Set aside ½ cup of the crumbs for the topping, then transfer the remaining crumbs to a 9x13-inch pan and use a fork to mash them up a bit. Pour the melted butter over top and use the fork to combine, making sure that all of the crumbs are moistened. Press into an even layer on the bottom of the pan. Refrigerate while the cream cheese layer is prepared.

2. Make the Cream Cheese Layer: In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce the speed to medium-low and gradually add the powdered sugar until it is all incorporated. Increase the speed to medium and beat for 30 seconds. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the Cool Whip. Spread in an even layer over the crust. Refrigerate while the pudding layer is prepared.

3. Make the Pudding Layer: In a large bowl, whisk together the pudding mix and milk for 2 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes to allow it to set. Use an offset spatula to spread the pudding in an even layer over the cream cheese mixture.

4. Spread the remaining 8-ounce tub of Cool Whip on top and sprinkle with the reserved Oreo crumbs. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.

Oreo Dessert

1 comment:

  1. Don't you just hate it when you are ready to make something and you have something missing!! Sounds as though you rescued it well though! xx

    ReplyDelete