Thursday, March 26, 2009

Jucy Lucy!

Have you heard of the Jucy Lucy Hamburger? I admit I hadn't heard of it until yesterday, while watching the Travel channel's "Man V Food" I got a glimpse of the first Jucy Lucy.....and my mouth dropped, and it drooled and my stomach growled and it evoked all these delicious thoughts in my head.
Cheryl Bristol, daughter of Matt Bristol, the bar's founder and namesake, tells the well-known tale: "The whole story goes like this: There was a bachelor customer who used to come in every day and order a burger. One day, in 1954, he told the cook to seal up some cheese in the middle. So the cook did, and when he bit into it the hot cheese spurted out, and he wiped his mouth and said, 'Oooh, that's one juicy lucy!' They used to talk goofy like that back then." The name went up on the board as "Jucy Lucy," and they've been serving a couple hundred a week ever since.

There was NO way I could go without making one at home. It's not that hard, just imagine if you will a burger with the cheese "inside", with every bite, it oozes out and drips onto your hands. Yeah...AMAZING! So here's my own version of the Jucy Lucy. 

017

 Sandra's Jucy Lucy
 
1 lb ground beef (no leaner than 80%)  
salt  
onion flakes  
garlic powder  
black pepper 
 4 slices American cheese (NOT cheddar, it has to be american or you won't have the melty delicious gooey mess)  
4 buns (I actually had mine on toasted sliced bread)  
Your favorite condiments and toppings 
 
 
 In a big bowl, combine the beef, salt, garlic, black pepper and onion flakes. Divide into equal 8 portions.

Shape each portion into a hamburger patty. Take each slice of cheese and cut into four pieces, place in the middle of four of the patties. 

004 

Top with another patty and crimp the edges tightly to seal. 

005 

Cook 3 to 4 minutes on the first side. You'll notice that burger will puff up, that's fine. Turn the burger over and then gently poke the top with a toothpick or wooden skewer, so the steam can escape. 

 Cook another 3 to 4 minutes. Serve on a bun with your favorite condiments.

014

18 comments:

  1. Hi Sandra that looks so yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that same episode last night!!! I love that show!! So funny.
    My husband likes blue cheese and bacon in his.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man V. Food
    Travel Channel
    It's great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this on Man vs. Food, and I immediately wanted to make it. I'm so glad it worked for you. I am definitely making it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm quite certain that my husband would love this. He likes anything that has everything on or in it....I'll be sure to try this. Kae

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is one BIG burger...I LOVE it! LOL Melting cheese, what could be better?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so yummy, I can't wait to try it. And BTW, there's an award for you on my blog. Check it out.

    http://greatgrannygrandma.blogspot.com/2009/03/two-more-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so yummy Sandra! I am doing burgers tonight as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Made these last night and they were just as you said...wonderful! I served them on toast with lettuce and tomato... just like you did and they were... wonderful!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwww... I would have LOVED to seen that. We used to live in Mpls and went to Matt's ALL THE TIME!!!! We MISS it SO much after moving to Maine. We DO however make it back multiple times when visiting Minnesota. I'm so glad they got some attention - BUT - it's only going to make getting a seat all that much harder!!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks delicious! My kind of burger!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This look so freaking good !! I need to try this one for sure !!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmmm those look heavenly Sandra! I've made them before I use dirrent cheeses each time LOL The last time I made them with pepper Jack and my hubby was in love LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the new look, always a hit. I will try these tonight, we are a hamburger family. Thanks for the good pictures.

    ReplyDelete