Thursday, May 20, 2021

Blueberry and Lemon Loaf

IMG_0778

I grew up in South Africa, so when we refer to a loaf it is usually a bread loaf.  
 
When I got married and moved to the USA, I was so confused when people would refer to sweet cakes as loaves or bread, like Banana Bread and so forth.  It took me a while to realize that just because it is called loaf, it doesn't necessarily mean a bread.
 
Over the years, as I got more used to the term, I started making all kinds.  Chocolate chip and Pumpkin, Zucchini and Lemon and so on.
 
This one is by far one of our favorites, especially my husband, who loves anything Lemon.
 
The recipe comes from The Mennonite Girls Can Cook, a blog I have followed since 2008.  Unfortunately they stopped sharing new recipes in 2018, but the blog has an amazing archive of over 3000 recipes.  Be sure to go check them out.  

IMG_0777 

It is a delicious, soft, fluffy loaf that goes perfectly with a cup of coffee or tea. 
 
I did adapt the recipe slightly, but only by adding some lemon juice which it did not call for.  The reason is simple, the recipe only calls for lemon zest, but we love lemon and I felt that just the zest wouldn't be enough.  
 
It turned out just perfect.  And how beautiful is it?  
 
Like they say, we eat with our eyes too, and at least for me, if it doesn't look appealing, I am not that eager to try it.  This one however, you won't be able to resist.
 

IMG_0779

 
Blueberry and Lemon Loaf
 
 
Ingredients
2 cups flour 
3/4 cup sugar 
3 tsp baking powder 
1/4 tsp salt 
rind (grated) from one large lemon 
2 eggs 1 cup sour cream 
1/4 cups oil 
1 tsp vanilla 
2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen) 
Optional:  lemon juice (I just squeezed in about 2 tablespoons of juice)
 
 
Instructions 
Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease or line with parchment paper, one 5x9 inch loaf pan. 
 
Mix dry ingredients along with rind. In separate small bowl, mix wet ingredients and add to dry along with blueberries. Stir until just combined and spread into loaf pan. 
 
Bake for 60 - 70 minutes, until cake tests done with pick. Leave in pan for 10 minutes before removing. 
 
If desired, drizzle with a mix of 3/4 cup icing (confectioners) sugar and juice of about 1/2 lemon.

1 comment: