CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS!!!
CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 1 large yellow onion, chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 pound boneless chicken thighs
* 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
* 1 (10 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
* 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
* 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
* 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
* 3 tablespoons shortening
* 2/3 cup buttermilk
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan or pot over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic for 5 minutes, then stir in chicken and saute until browned, about 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in broth, vegetables, sage and thyme; mix all together and let simmer over medium heat while preparing the dumplings.
2. In a medium bowl, mix flour and parsley together. Add shortening and stir mixture into a coarse, mealy dough. Stir in buttermilk, a little bit at a time, until dough holds together and is soft but firm. (If needed, add up to 2 tablespoons more buttermilk).
3. Bring chicken mixture to a boil over medium high heat and drop round spoonfuls of dumpling mixture on top (do not let dumplings touch each other). Reduce heat to low, cover pot and let simmer for 10 to 12 minutes.