Monday, April 20, 2009

Cream Scones!

There's nothing like a warm scone straight out of the oven is there? I've tried many scone recipes and actually have this one right here on the blog, but I love this cream scone version from Joy of Baking...so good. Next on my list to try will be some Devonshire Cream. YUM! Here's a tip.....make sure your baking powder has NOT expired, or you'll end up with great tasting scones but ones that didn't rise much at all. Like the ones that I ended up with this morning, usually they're nice and big and fluffy. 

2009_04200018

CREAM SCONES  
Recipe from: Joy of Baking

 

2 cups (280 grams) all-purpose flour 
1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated white sugar 
2 teaspoons (10 grams) baking powder 
1/4 teaspoon salt 1/3 cup (76 grams) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces 
1 large egg, lightly beaten 
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 
1/2 cup (120 ml) whipping cream or milk 
 
Glaze: Cream 
 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and place the rack in the middle of the oven. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. 
 
2009_04200001 
 
 Cut the butter into small pieces and blend into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or two knives.
 
 2009_04200002 
 
The mixture should look like coarse crumbs. In a small measuring cup combine the whipping cream, beaten egg and vanilla. 
 
2009_04200004 
 
Add this mixture to the flour mixture. Stir just until combined. Do not over mix. 
 
2009_04200007 
 
Knead dough gently on a lightly floured surface. Roll or pat the dough into a circle that is about 7 inches (18 cm) round. Then, using a 2 1/2 inch (6.5 cm) round cookie cutter, cut the dough into rounds. 
 
 2009_04200008 
 
Place the rounds on the prepared cookie sheet, spacing a few inches apart. Brush the tops of the scones with a little cream. This helps to brown the tops of the scones during baking. 
 
Bake for about 15 - 18 minutes or until nicely browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of a scone comes out clean. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. 
 
Serve with Devon cream or softly whipped cream and your favorite jam. 
 
2009_04200015 
 
These scones freeze very well. Makes about 10 - 2 1/2 inch (6.5 cm) round scones.

16 comments:

  1. Your food always looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness, girl! These look just gorgeous! I love that they don't have a ton of sugar in them too!!

    Going to have to try these this week! How perfect for spring!

    Hugs.. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMYGOODNESS those look heavenly. I love scones you took some great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a weakness...I could not make these...they would be gone before anyone in my family knew I made them~
    sandy toe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I AM STARVING LOOKING AT THESE PICTURES!!! THE PANCAKES LOOKS TOO GOOD ALSO...
    Really-they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom arrives from the U.S. tomorrow and I think this would be a very Aussie thing to make while she's here-- and of course since she's the baker in the family she can be in charge of them coming out right!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so i just made these! and they are AMAZING!!!!! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i made whip cream and stuffed them with that and seedless raspberry preserves! mm mm good! thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUMM!!! I am going to store today, to get the stuff I need... like non expired baking powder. LOOKS Wonderful! Will go great with some of my wonderful LDT teas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to try these. I just want to say that I love your blog. I hope you don't mine that I follow your blog.

    Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never had scones, but these look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goodness Gracious Sandra!! Everything here on your page looks so delicious!! I think I just gained ten pounds from looking. What I wouldn't give for a taste! I wish that I could send you some Cornish Clotted Cream. It's just the best with fresh scones and strawberry preserves. I could make a meal of it and nothing else! I think I may make your enchiladas later today. It all depends on what time we get home from church, but if not today then tommorrow. :-) Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. you.have.no.idea how much i've missed being able to visit your blog!!! i'm in recipe idiot- ville.. so i just stuck to basics like tacos and spaghetti- pathetic. But, BEHOLD we have internet and i can get your recipes again!! IM so excited

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh My Goodness those scones look devine. I love scones and that whipped cream and jam take it over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look delicious! I'm not the best baker but this I think I can try. Thank you, Kae

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Sandra, I'll have to try to make these gluten free....they look incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete