Monday, April 20, 2009

Cream Scones!

There's nothing like a warm scone straight out of the oven is there?

I've tried many scone recipes and actually have this one right here on the blog, but I love this cream scone version from Joy of Baking...so good.

Next on my list to try will be some Devonshire Cream. YUM!

Here's a tip.....make sure your baking powder has NOT expired, or you'll end up with great tasting scones but ones that didn't rise much at all. Like the ones that I ended up with this morning, usually they're nice and big and fluffy.


Photobucket

CREAM SCONES
Recipe from: Joy of Baking


2 cups (280 grams) all-purpose flour

1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated white sugar

2 teaspoons (10 grams) baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup (76 grams) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces

1 large egg, lightly beaten

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/2 cup (120 ml) whipping cream or milk

Glaze:

Cream


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and place the rack in the middle of the oven. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.

Photobucket

Cut the butter into small pieces and blend into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or two knives.

Photobucket

The mixture should look like coarse crumbs. In a small measuring cup combine the whipping cream, beaten egg and vanilla.

Photobucket

Add this mixture to the flour mixture. Stir just until combined. Do not over mix.

Photobucket

Knead dough gently on a lightly floured surface. Roll or pat the dough into a circle that is about 7 inches (18 cm) round. Then, using a 2 1/2 inch (6.5 cm) round cookie cutter, cut the dough into rounds.

Photobucket

Place the rounds on the prepared cookie sheet, spacing a few inches apart. Brush the tops of the scones with a little cream. This helps to brown the tops of the scones during baking.

Photobucket

Bake for about 15 - 18 minutes or until nicely browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of a scone comes out clean.

Photobucket

Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve with Devon cream or softly whipped cream and your favorite jam.

Photobucket

These scones freeze very well.

Makes about 10 - 2 1/2 inch (6.5 cm) round scones.

16 comments:

  1. Your food always looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness, girl! These look just gorgeous! I love that they don't have a ton of sugar in them too!!

    Going to have to try these this week! How perfect for spring!

    Hugs.. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMYGOODNESS those look heavenly. I love scones you took some great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a weakness...I could not make these...they would be gone before anyone in my family knew I made them~
    sandy toe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I AM STARVING LOOKING AT THESE PICTURES!!! THE PANCAKES LOOKS TOO GOOD ALSO...
    Really-they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom arrives from the U.S. tomorrow and I think this would be a very Aussie thing to make while she's here-- and of course since she's the baker in the family she can be in charge of them coming out right!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so i just made these! and they are AMAZING!!!!! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i made whip cream and stuffed them with that and seedless raspberry preserves! mm mm good! thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUMM!!! I am going to store today, to get the stuff I need... like non expired baking powder. LOOKS Wonderful! Will go great with some of my wonderful LDT teas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to try these. I just want to say that I love your blog. I hope you don't mine that I follow your blog.

    Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never had scones, but these look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goodness Gracious Sandra!! Everything here on your page looks so delicious!! I think I just gained ten pounds from looking. What I wouldn't give for a taste! I wish that I could send you some Cornish Clotted Cream. It's just the best with fresh scones and strawberry preserves. I could make a meal of it and nothing else! I think I may make your enchiladas later today. It all depends on what time we get home from church, but if not today then tommorrow. :-) Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. you.have.no.idea how much i've missed being able to visit your blog!!! i'm in recipe idiot- ville.. so i just stuck to basics like tacos and spaghetti- pathetic. But, BEHOLD we have internet and i can get your recipes again!! IM so excited

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh My Goodness those scones look devine. I love scones and that whipped cream and jam take it over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look delicious! I'm not the best baker but this I think I can try. Thank you, Kae

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Sandra, I'll have to try to make these gluten free....they look incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete