Pasta Sans Fagioli!
Ok so it's true name is Pasta e Faglioli which means Pasta and Beans, but I omitted the beans, the kids don't much care for them.
What I was left with, was a delicious and super simple and quick to prepare Pasta dish. I have to say though, I'm getting burned out on noodles, I think we've had just way too much lately.
Anyway, here's the recipe, enjoy!
Credit: Smells Like Home
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 strips bacon (uncooked and cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups jarred or homemade spaghetti sauce *I only used 1 Jar of spaghetti sauce*
- 1 (15oz) can cannellini beans (rinsed and drained) *Left out the beans*
- 2 tablespoons grated pecorino-romano cheese, plus more for garnish *substituted Parmesan cheese for the pecorino-romano*
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper (pinches to taste)
- 1 lb ditalini pasta or other small tubular pasta (i.e., elbows) *I only used half a pound*
In a deep stockpot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat then saute onions for 3 minutes. Add bacon and a pinch of salt and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes, occasionally stirring to keep the bacon from burning.
Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Turn heat to medium-low, add sauce, beans, 2 tbsp pecorino-romano cheese, garlic powder, oregano, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
Stir to combine well and cook for 15 min. While sauce mixture is cooking, cook pasta until tender and drain well. Add pasta to sauce mixture and combine well.
Turn heat to low and allow pasta and sauce flavors to “mingle” for 5 minutes. Serve with grated cheese and crusty bread, if desired.
Prep Time: 10 minutes