Monday, April 26, 2010

{ Cowboy Lasagna - Trisha Yearwood }

I just don't even know what to do with myself anymore, might be best to just embrace the fact that I'll probably gain 20 lbs by the time I'm done making all these delicious recipes.

This is another one that is now a favorite around here.

Trisha calls for sage flavored sausage, but we prefer maple, so that's what I used. I also halved the recipe since it makes for 12 servings and that is just way too much for us.

But man alive, this is delicious. YUM!


2010_04260018

COWBOY LASAGNA
Credit: Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood


1 pound lean ground beef, chuck or round
1 pound sage-flavored sausage
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 pound sliced pepperoni
1 (16-ounce) can tomatoes, diced or stewed
1 (12-ounce) can tomato paste
2 cups water
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 Tablespoon dried oregano
16 ounces lasagna noodles
16 ounces ricotta cheese
16 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 cup grated parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 F.

In a large, heavy skillet, lightly brown ground beef, sausage, onion and garlic in the oil. Be sure to keep the meat chunky, not finely separated, while cooking. Drain the meat. Add pepperoni, tomatoes, tomato paste, water, salt, pepper and oregano. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.

2010_04260004

Cook and drain lasagna noodles according to package directions.

In a 13 x 9-inch pan, spread 1 cup of the prepared sauce. Alternate layers of noodles, sauce, ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses, ending with sauce, mozzarella and parmesan.

2010_04260007

Bake for 40 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbling.

2010_04260009

Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.

2010_04260016

Yield: 12 servings

2010_04260017

4 comments:

  1. I love this with the pepperoni! It sounds awesome but not figure flattering at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again Trisha strikes gold! How very yummy looking and sounding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my!! That looks so good and I don't usually like lasagna but I am going to try this one. I usually use Italian sausage in mine but I do use sage flavored or regular pork sausage on my homemade pizzas. I think we'll all be right there with you and your extra 20 pounds!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this yesterday...it was the best lasagna I think I have ever had or made! Wow!

    ReplyDelete