Friday, April 16, 2010

Sweet and Saltines

Oh man oh man oh man, I almost wish I hadn't found this recipe, I've eaten far too many of these and I can't stop. Crack I tell ya, it's crack in the form of chocolate, caramel and saltine crackers.

Another great recipe from Trisha's new book.

2010_04160020

SWEET AND SALTINES
Credit: Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood

40 saltine crackers
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 cup light brown sugar
8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips (about 1 1/3 cups)

Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a large jellyroll pan with aluminum foil and the saltine crackers.

2010_04160002

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar together and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from the eat and pour over the crackers, covering them evenly.

2010_04160008

Put the jellyroll pan into the oven and watch closely.

2010_04160010

Bake for 4 to 5 minutes, or until just bubbly. Remove from oven and pour the chocolate chips over the crackers. When the chips melt a bit, spread them over the crackers with a knife.

2010_04160015

Transfer the pan to the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until completely cold. They will form one big sheet. Break up into pieces. Store into an airtight container.

2010_04160021


NOTE: When you go to break into pieces, if the foil is sticking to the crackers, pop back into the freezer for a while longer. I actually let mine sit for about an hour and the foil came right off.

14 comments:

  1. Stop it right now! You are killing me tonight - potatoes and then chocolate? I can't take it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm...I make these using graham crackers~tastes like praline. I bet this is yummy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm, one of my favourite things Sandra! we can't get saltines over here so I used Italian crackers. Taste just as good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have wanted to try this for years but I just wasn't sure about how it would taste--now I know it's got to be good if it's on your blog. I think I could get addicted to these too!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have made these in the past & they are heavenly!!!! So hard to eat just a small portion!! Probably why I haven't made them for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh....wow....these look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only make this at Christmas because it is so hard to resist and way too easy to make. We had chopped walnuts to the top of ours =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paula Deen has an almost identical recipe for the saltines. She uses chocolate candy bars instead of chocolate chips. She calls hers Pine Bark. It is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this stuff!! The only difference in my recipe is the addition of crunched up Heath bar candy on top of the melted chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our family has made this recipe for years except we use graham crackers and top with nuts. I can't wait to try it with the saltines.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sandra,

    We call this "cracker candy". Like 3 Sides of Crazy, we've also substituted graham crackers for the saltines and then sprinkled chopped pecans over the melted chocolate. YUMMMMMM Good !
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a huge fan of Trisha Yearwood's cookbooks as well, and just made the Sweet and Saltines this weekend. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just made this and I am sold! I couldn't fit the pan in my freezer so I put it in the fridge for an hr or 2 and it tastes just like Almond Roca. Kids love it so this is def a keeper. The fact that its super easy and cheap to make makes it even better =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My mom used to make something like these (without the caramel) when we were kids, she called them cheater toffee....she sprinkled toasted almonds over the top. Can't wait to try these, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete