Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Sausage Rice!!!



Now this is one recipe that I remember from my childhood. When I was going to school in Portugal, I had afternoon classes, so every day my greatgrandmother would make us lunch, which was always yummy stuff.

This rice dish was by far one of my favorites, it was good but also filling. It's one that I make nowadays and my kids enjoy.

So here goes, now remember though that I'm not a chef and I don't like cooking according to specific measurements and methods etc....I cook from the heart and I would say with my eyes....hence the eyeballing of ingredients at times :)

SAUSAGE RICE

2 tbps olive oil
1 bay leaf
1 tsp garlic, crushed
salt and pepper to taste
1 small can tomato sauce
1 medium onion, chopped
1 lb sausage, sliced (now here you can use ANY sausage you like even sliced hotdogs)
1 1/2 cups of rice
3 cups of water


In a pan over medium heat, add oil, bay leaf, garlic, salt and pepper, tomato sauce and onion. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes or until onion is tender....add the sausage and cook for another 5 to 6 minutes.

Add the rice and the water to the pan, reduce the heat to low and cook for about 20 minutes or until rice is done.

I usually check often to make sure that there is still enough water or if needed I add just a little more, I want the rice to be cooked but I also want a bit of the sauce to stay, so I don't want it completely dried up.

Remove the bay leaf and serve, along with a salad or some veggies.


5 comments:

  1. My word Sandra.I like(no I love this template more...)
    I should hire you for the templates for the blogs that I have!!! Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra,
    Thanks so much for posting the recipe. I can't wait to try it.
    Katie in Boise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, this one is new too! I LOVE it as well, so talented you are. And fun looking recipe....any sausage huh, like turkey would be ok?

    ReplyDelete
  4. mckenna - Thank you :) If you ever need help with your blogs and I can help, just let me know :)

    Katie - let me know how it turned out :)

    Gail - Yes any sausage works fine, turkey I bet would be delicious too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a young teenager my family was stationed on the Terceria island of the Azores. I loved the experience.

    ReplyDelete