Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Arroz Doce - Portuguese Rice Pudding!!!

 Last night I had made spaghetti for dinner, and we all know how easy that is right???

Well I was in the mood for some sort of dessert and didn't know what to make at first, and then I remembered my greatgrandma making Arroz Doce (portuguese rice pudding). She would make it for dessert after dinner, or for family get togethers. It's one of the most known portuguese desserts, and if you go to any portuguese restaurant anywhere in the world, you're sure to find it on the menu.

It's delicious and easy to make.


Arroz Doce
(Portuguese Rice Pudding)


Ingredients:

1 1/2 quarts of milk (6 cups)
1 1/4 cup of uncooked white rice
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs beaten
1 cinnamon stick

Over high heat, combine cinnamon stick, sugar and milk. When bubbles form at edges, stir in rice and reduce heat to medium-low.
Cook 60 minutes, stirring often, until rice is tender. Do NOT allow to boil.

Remove from heat, remove cinnamon stick and vigorously stir in beaten eggs, a little at a time, until well incorporated. Pour into serving dish, sprinkle with ground cinnamon and serve warm.
Refrigerate the leftovers.

Now, in my family we let it cool down a bit and then eat it warm, but I have to say that the next day, it tastes just as good cold out of the refrigerator.

This makes a great dish for a get together, church potluck etc.

Let me know if you try it :)



Over high heat, combine sugar and milk

and cinnamon stick. If you don't have the cinnamon stick, don't worry, just use ground cinnamon, it works as well.

When bubbles form at edges, stir in rice and reduce heat to medium-low.

Cook 60 minutes, stirring often, until rice is tender. Do NOT allow to boil.

Remove from heat, remove cinnamon stick and vigorously stir in beaten eggs, a little at a time, until well incorporated.

Pour into serving dish, sprinkle with ground cinnamon and serve warm.

YUMMY!!!!

7 comments:

  1. I just come across your recipe through another blog and maybe you want to try this Arroz Doce recipe. Also delicious!! (Although I usually put some eggs in it). I prefer to eat it warm. So good!
    http://soleflor-en.blogspot.com/2006/11/favorite-ingredients-friday.html
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had a baby, so my husband is doing the cooking right now. He saw this recipe, which he loves at our favorite Mexican restuarant, El Meson. He made it for the first time last night. Our whole family loved it! I loved how filling it is. While breastfeeding, I always feel hungry, but this dessert filled me up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adoro!!! It takes me back to my childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made this tonight for my family. My mom used to make this but with raisins, I so do not like it with raisins!
    Big hit with the hubby and kids. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, I love rice pudding but usually always make baked kinds. Im trying this... and wondering why not to let it boil? It just did for a couple minutes... mmm yum! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosto muito!!!! This reminds me of when I lived in Portugal for about a year and a half for a mission for my church! I can't tell you how much arroz doce I ate! It is so good! Estou animada para tentar suas receitas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is exactly the kind of recipe I was looking for! Can you give me the phonetic pronunciation so I can say it correctly?

    ReplyDelete