If you are fan of casseroles and mexican dishes, you will definitely enjoy this one.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (10-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can tomatoes with green chilies
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 10 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Preheat oven to 325'F. Melt butter in a large skillet; add onion and pepper. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in soup, undrained tomatoes and chicken. Tear tortillas into bite-size pieces.
Spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray. Layer tortillas, soup mixture and Monterey Jack cheese in prepared casserole.
Mix sour cream, milk and jalapeno in a small bowl. Spread over top of casserole.
Bake chicken until bubbly, about 40 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately.
Now because I have young kids, they don't like very spicy food, so instead of the diced can of tomatoes and green chilies, I use mild salsa, and then I omit the jalapeno peppers from the sour cream and milk mixture. It still comes out really good and not spicy so the kids can enjoy :)