Friday, April 04, 2008

Korean Pancakes!

While getting groceries at the commissary this past week, they had a Korean Cooking Class going on and the display tables were filled with delicious cooked food and ingredients for sale.

My first taste of the Pa jeon was amazing, it's this Korean Pancake made with all sorts of veggies. I brought home a bag of the Pancake Mix and made some to go with our dinner last night, it was a huge hit.

Now, they've made it easy for us to do this by selling the ready made dry ingredients, it's pretty much like our normal pancake mixes.....this is what it looks like:


If you're adventurous and want to make it from scratch, here is a recipe.


I used what veggies I had fresh on hand, so I did carrots, green onions and mushrooms, just cut them up into small pieces. I actually grated my carrots though so they wouldn't be huge chunks.

In a separate bowl, add 1 cup of the pancake mix and 3/4 cup of water, mix well until there are no lumps.


Add the veggies to the mix and stir well

In a skillet add about 3 tablepoons of vegetable oil, drop by the spoonfuls onto the skillet and cook on each side until brown.

I made smaller ones, but the directions say to use a ladle to scoop the mixture into the pan which would obviously produce BIG pancakes.


YUM!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Yum! I gotta try these. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My good friend from South Korea taught me how to make these pancakes. My kids LOVE them, and they're a great way to get kids to eat vegetables. For some unknown reason, I haven't made them in a long time. Thanks for reminding me about them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look really good and I think the kids would really like to help make them. I have never heard of them before. What kind of sauce/condiment would be good with them? We have huge ranch/ketchup afficionados in my house :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ranch or ketchup sound good - and soooo kid-friendly. My kids love these pancakes plain as long as they're served warm.

    ReplyDelete