Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Orange Cake!

If there is one taste that I love, it's orange or lemon or pretty much anything citrusy, and on hot summer days there's nothing better than a big slice of Orange Cake with some slices of orange along side. Yes, it's good, good enough that you can't have just one slice, good enough that when you take a bite you have visions of biting into a juicy big orange, good enough that your husband will say "Dang" and your kids will call you the best mommy cooker on earth. It's THAT good!

Now go forth and channel your inner citrus lover...go on....

Orange Cake

ORANGE CAKE

2 nice big oranges
2 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups of flour
2 cups of sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder


We start by taking both oranges and cutting the ends off, then throw those in the trash, you won't need them.

Now take each orange and cut it into fourths. Forget about the ends in the background, I hadn't thrown them out yet, but I will in just a sec.

Ugh those ends are still there mocking me...I should have just gotten rid of them in the beginning. But anyway....forget about those. Take your orange slices and cut out the white skin part thingy in the middle, make sure you get all of it otherwise it makes your cake bitter.

Also remove any seeds, if there are any....mine didn't have any.


Then you chop it all up into small pieces. I know at this point you're wondering if I'm crazy because I didn't peel the oranges, but just go with me here ok? It's ALL going in the cake and don't mock it till you try it....that's all I'm saying LOL


Dump all the juicy orange chunks into the blender, then add the 2 eggs....


Add 1 cup of vegetable oil and then blend everything together until you get this nice yellow cream


Take that mixture and dump it into a mixing bowl


Add in the 2 cups of flour and the 2 cups of sugar and the baking powder and mix everything well....with a spoon. Don't bother getting the electric mixer out, no need to dirty it....


Pour the cake mix into a greased baking pan and pop it into a 375º oven for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.


Here's our cake straight out of the oven....go ahead and run a thin knife along the edges to make sure it's loose and then invert it onto a plate.


At this point you're going to take a fork or whatever and poke a bunch of holes all over the top of the cake.



Then walk over to the stove again, grab a small pan, put in the juice from one orange, or just pour some from the OJ carton like I did. You don't need a lot, you don't want to drown the cake just make a little syrup to pour on top.

Add some sugar to the juice and bring to a boil, stir to make sure it's well dissolved.

While it's still hot, pour it all over the cake.... *drool*


Sprinkle some powdered sugar on top and cut yourself a big slice of that baby...add some orange slices and you're good to go. Go anywhere, even outside to the driveway while you turn off the water sprinklers.

Sorry but there's no way I was leaving my slice sitting around the counter, those animals in the house would have devoured it. *snicker*
Orange Cake

9 comments:

  1. This sounds absolutely delicious! I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing Sandra! Sounds delicious! And as I mentioned, I LOVE citrus... I'll make it tonight... as soon as I get home... and I'll drool thinking about it until then :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so GOOD!! On the way home from work I stopped and bought oranges and made this. Incredible! The kids love it. Thank you!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic directions! I can't believe you just put it in the blender like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just made this and it was delicious!! I also drew some of the steps while waiting for it to come out of the oven ;)

    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds so refreshing - thanks!

    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  7. We made this last week and this is another of your recipes that we all LOVE; it was so refreshing and delicious.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would this work with lemons or would it be too sour? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete