Thursday, November 25, 2010

Basic Pie Dough

Pie dough is one of those things that a lot of people, including some very good bakers, shy away from, they seem to find the whole concept intimidating.  I used to feel the same way, it would really freak me out just thinking that I needed to make a pie, so I would do what a lot do, run to the store and by a ready made pie crust.

There are a lot of opinions and thoughts when it comes to making pie dough, some people swear by shortening and only shortening.  I've tried a few versions here and there and have always pretty much come up with the same kind of pie dough, but this version I'm about to share with you is the one I always come back to.

It's easy, it uses ingredients that I always have on hand and I end up with a delicious flaky pie crust that everyone enjoys.


2010_11250016

Basic Pie Dough
Adapted from Williams Sonoma

Yield: 1 9-inch pie crust*
Ingredients:
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. sugar
¼ tsp. salt
8 tbsp. cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
3 tbsp. very cold water


Directions:
Combine the flour, sugar and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.  Mix briefly to blend.  Add in the butter pieces and mix on medium-low speed to cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse sand and the largest butter pieces are not much bigger than peas.  Mix in the cold water on low speed just until the dough comes together.

Shape the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.  (This dough can be frozen for up to 2 months.)

2010_11250010

 Remove from the refrigerator.  Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface.  Use as directed in your desired pie recipe.

2010_11250012

*Double the recipe for a double crust pie.

1 comment:

  1. I have been making a butter crust recipe lately, I think I'll try yours next.

    When we first were married I did not have a clue as to how to make a pie crust. I got a cookbook from family that first Christmas and made a double crust for a blueberry pie. Oh my gosh, it was thick and so dry, just awful, but I'm sure we ate it anyway. We laugh about that now. I was a young Navy wife, and we were living in Spain at the time. A couple of Christian ladies had a Bible study once a week, and a couple of times they gave cooking lessons. One of those times was a pie crust and ever since I first made that crust recipe I never had a failure again. It called for Crisco, which I don't use anymore, so I started looking for butter crust recipes, and found one that comes out nice. But, now I want to try yours.

    Thank you so much Sandra for sharing all these wonderful recipes with us here in blogland. It takes time to photograph and write up and upload it all and it is much appreciated.

    Hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete