Saturday, September 12, 2015

Bifes a Portugalia - Portuguese Steak, Fried Egg and Fries


I was born in Mozambique, which was a Portuguese colony and so I'm Portuguese, when the revolution happened in 1974, I was just a few months old and my parents, grandparents and remaining family were forced to evacuate the country.  We fled to Rhodesia, now known as Zimbabwe for a few months and then on to Portugal.  I lived there until I was 10 years old and then moved to South Africa, returning again in 1988 to Portugal.

Within a year, we were back in South Africa.  Crazy, I know, but we had to go where work was available for my father, and so we did.  I have always regretted not staying in Portugal and I really wish that I could go back.  I have been back a few times to visit and each time I make sure to have a good ol' Portuguese steak, at least once while there.

Portugal is amazing, not just for the old charm but the fantastic food, if you've never tried it you don't know what you're missing.

Anyway, all that just to tell you that you must give these steaks a try.  There are so many different versions out there but this is how I remember them.

The measurements I'm giving you below are for 4 people, just adjust accordingly depending on how many you are serving.


Bifes a Portugalia


4 steaks, I used bottom round because it is what was on sale, but use whatever you like
Salt and Pepper
Garlic
Bay Leaves
White wine
Butter
1 and half cups beer
Heavy Cream
4 Eggs, one per person

Season the steaks with salt and pepper, garlic, bay leaves and place them in a bowl.  Pour in some wine, cover and refrigerate to marinate for a few hours.  I like to get mine ready around lunch time and let them sit until dinner.

Place 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet, add the steaks and cook on both sides until brown.

Add in another 2 tablespoons of butter and 1/2 cup of beer.  Turn the heat to medium low and simmer for about 10 minutes or until steaks are cooked through and tender.

Remove steaks, and keep warm.  Into the skillet pour in the 1 cup of beer and about a cup of heavy cream.  You can add more or less according to your taste.  Stir well and simmer until thickened.

Fry up the eggs and fries while the steaks are cooking.

On a plate, place a steak, add some of the gravy on top and around, I like to have the bottom of the plate filled with gravy.  Add some fries on the side, right onto the yummy gravy, and place the fried egg on top of the steak.

That's it.  Dig in and enjoy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment