Wednesday, September 20, 2006

CRAB CAKES!!!



This is one of those reduced calorie recipes, and obviously seeing that I'm always trying to watch my weight, I figured this was a good one to add to my list.

CRAB CAKES

1 lb. lump crabmeat (canned is OK)
1/3 cup low-sodium saltines (about 7)

1/2 tsp. Tabasco or other hot sauce

2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

1 Tbsp. minced shallot

2 tsp. Dijon Mustard

1 large egg white

1 rib celery, diced

1 Tbsp. lemon juice

2 Tbsp. reduced-fat mayonnaise

1/8 tsp. salt
pepper, to taste
2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil


Pick over crabmeat and take out any pieces of shell. Break saltines into roughly 1-4-inch pieces and fold with crabmeat in a large bowl. Add Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, shallot, mustard, egg white, celery, lemon juice, mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Fold together gently until well blended. Be careful not to break up crabmeat too much.

Form into 8 cakes and chill. (This part can be done up to 12 hours in advance. Cover crab cakes and chill.)

Preheat oven to 400ºF. Warm oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat until it's almost smoking. Lower heat to medium-high and fry crab cakes for about 3 minutes, until brown. Transfer cakes to a baking sheet lined with foil and cook in the oven for another 9 to 10 minutes, until warmed through.

3 comments:

  1. I love crab cakes. I have to try this. Have to. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, these look awesome. As soon as the cast is off I'm going to try these. I love crab cakes just like Barb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll try these this weekend, I have some canned crab!!

    ReplyDelete