Thursday, December 06, 2007

Chicken Spaghetti or Cowboy Casserole

So last night I made Chicken Spaghetti, a recipe that I found over at one of my favorite blogs "The Pioneer Woman Cooks". One of the things I love about her is that she does step by step pictures and I wondered "why in the heck didn't I ever do that myself, it certainly makes things so much easier for the reader doesn't it?"............so I'm doing it, I'm going to start posting my recipes with step by step pictures.

So here we go, Cowboy Casserole as my kids now call it because they were completely enthralled and in awe that this recipe came from a blog that belongs to a working ranch with horses and actual LIVE.ANIMALS. Yippee!

CHICKEN SPAGHETTI

100_2044

We start by throwing some water in a pot, adding 1 lb of whole cut up chicken, in this case I used just thighs. Cook for about 30 minutes or so until the chicken is cooked through.

100_2049

One green pepper diced finely and one onion diced finely too. I just love close up shots of food don't you?

100_2052

You also need about 2 1/2 to 3 cups of spaghetti broken into 2 inch pieces. Lookie all the food waiting to be turned into a yummy dish.

100_2053

When the chicken is cooked, remove 2 cups of the chicken broth and set aside. Now dump the spaghetti into the pot and cook until *al dente*. Remember it still has to cook in the oven for about 35 to 40 minutes so you don't want the pasta all mushy.

100_2056

Once the spaghetti is cooked, drain it and then put it into a big mixing bowl and add the chicken.

100_2057

Add the onion and the green peppers........I'm sorry but I'm getting distracted with my own photos, there's something about catching food in motion that just amazes me LOL

100_2059

Anyway, before I get distracted with what I'm doing here......go ahead and add the diced pimentos. BTW if you they're not diced when you buy them, go ahead and do it, dice them babies up finely.

100_2058

Add 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup. Yes I know, I somehow mixed the pictures up, see how this one is magically missing the pimentos??? Well they're above but just imagine they're on already LOL

Hey give me a break, I'm not Martha Stewart!

100_2060

2 cups of grated cheddar cheese go in next. I'm so happy that I still have leftovers for lunch today cause looking at these pictures is making me hungry again.

100_2061

Now you add 1 teaspoon of Lawry's Seasoning Salt....more or less. I added the teaspoon and then a little more because I love this stuff....but be careful you don't want to overdo it.

100_2062

Some black pepper, now Ree calls for a sprinkling so just go for it. *snicker*

100_2063

Now start adding the reserved 2 cups of chicken broth, one cup at a time and mix it all up until it's gooey and yummy looking. You don't want it soupy though. I stopped adding the broth just short of 2 cups, just like Ree suggested and it seems to be perfect consistency.

100_2065

Mmmmmmmmmmm!

100_2066

Place into any shape casserole pan and sprinkle with more cheese. I switched to Mozzarella at this point because I ran out of Cheddar LOL

I'm sorry, I promise to stick to the right cheese next time but really, what does it matter??? Cheddar or Mozzarella or Parmesan or whatever, it's cheese people, it's just cheese.

100_2076

Yeah go ahead and dig in, don't you just want to stick a fork in it, literally?!?!?! It's soooo good, you have to try it.

Thank you Ree at "Pioneer Woman Cooks", you're my hero and just because this was such a hit, tonight I'm paying homage to her again by fixing "Malboro's Man Favorite Sandwich". Mouth watering already, gotta go stuff something in it to stop it. Enjoy!


Pioneer Woman Chicken Spaghetti

2 cups cooked chicken
2 cans Cream of Mushroom soup
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup finely diced green pepper
1/2 cup finely diced onion

1-4 oz jar diced pimentos, drained
3 cups dry spaghetti, broken into two inch pieces
2 cups reserved chicken broth from pot
1 teaspoon Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 additional cup grated sharp cheddar cheese

Cook 1 cut up fryer and pick out the meat to make two cups. Cook spaghetti in same chicken broth until al dente. Do not overcook. When spaghetti is cooked, combine with remaining ingredients except additional 1 cup sharp cheddar. Place mixture in casserole pan and top with remaining sharp cheddar. Cover and freeze up to six months, cover and refrigerate up to two days, or bake immediately: 350 degrees for 45 minutes until bubbly. (If the cheese on top starts to get too cooked, cover with foil.)


1 comment: