Monday, December 03, 2007

Slow Cooker 3 beans and sausage!

After running around all weekend my poor house was in desperate need of a deep cleaning, so I figured, nothing like today to throw in a wonderful quick and easy slow cooker meal.

What's easier than 3 beans and sausage???

The main stars of this meal are the 3 different kinds of beans that go into it. Here they are in all their splendor just waiting to be opened and consumed. No really, I'm sure that's the last thing on their mind, poor things.

Anyway, we need 1 lb of smoked sausage, sliced......

Add 1 cup of water to the slow cooker.........


Next open up the cans of beans and rinse and drain them, then add one can of Kidney beans to the sausage.
One can of rinsed and drained Great Northern Beans


And one can of rinsed and drained black beans. Yummmmmmm!
Isn't that cool how the camera caught the beans pouring into the crockpot??? I love motion photos.


Next we put in one onion, chopped up.

In goes one can of tomato sauce, just ONE, don't get all adventurous and try to add more.

2/3 cup of chopped celery


Are you still with me??? Ok, well go ahead and crumble up one chicken bouillon cube, I'm sure you could use beef too if you would prefer it. It kinda looks like a salad at this point doesn't it? Or am I just seeing things? LOL

I sprinkle some garlic powder, there's no set amount here just eyeball it.

One bay leaf, just remember to remove it before eating, it's really not that tasty if you bite into it. I know, I tried it before just so I could say I did.

Black pepper, again I just eyeball it so go for it.

1/4 teaspoon of Oregano and Thyme, now these are optional you do NOT have to add them, it's not like you'll get arrested by the Spice Girls.........LOL The spice girls.......LOL

Give it all a good stir and set it on low for 4 to 5 hours.


TADA.....Slow Cooker 3 Bean and Sausage. I like serving mine on a bed of white rice, you could certainly go without but the rice makes it heartier and more of a meal.

One thing, when it's ready if you find it a bit too watery for your taste, just take about a tablespoon of cornstarch, mix it with a little water to create a sort of paste and add it to the crockpot while stirring constantly, cook it on high for another 10 minutes or so or until it's thickened. Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. OK you will make me look like "The Great Mom"... again! Love your site, and always look foreward to trying the recipes! Keep on Cookin'! (I had a good laugh with you about the Spice Girls Police!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh!! This looks amazing!! My mouth is watering just looking at all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just surfing the net looking for a bean and sausage recipe and saw your blog. You have made my day! That was the BEST fun and I even laughed out loud at the spice girls joke! I'm going to use your recipe this evening, I'll bookmark your page and I'll let you know if I am crowned Queen of Beans! Rhank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was supposed to say Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this blog and all you do for others. I have used many of your receipies and wanted to say, "Thanks!" This reciepe is simmering away in my crock pot as I type. It smells yummy and my 2 1/2 year old can't wait to try the "hot dogs"... LOL! Hey, if he'll eat it, whatever works, right?!?

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete