Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Lemon Bars!

With the abundance of lemons coming out of my tree, I have started to use lemons daily so this afternoon I made up a batch of Lemon Bars. Love them!



LEMON BARS

Crust:

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup confectioner's (powdered) sugar
1 cup all purpose flour

Filling:

1 cup granulated white sugar
2 large eggs
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about two large lemons)
1 tablespoon grated lemon jest (2 lemons)
2 tablespoons all purpose flour


Preheat oven to 350 degrees (177 C) and place rack in center of oven. Grease with butter or cooking spray a 8 x 8 inch pan.

FOR CRUST: In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the flour and salt and beat until the dough just comes together. Press into the bottom of your greased pan and bake for about 20 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool while you make the filling.

FOR FILLING: In your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the sugar and eggs until nice and smooth. Add the lemon juice and zest and stir to combine. Fold in the flour . Pour the filling over the shortbread crust and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the filling is set. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.

To serve: Cut into squares or triangles and dust with powdered sugar. These are best eaten the day they are made but can be covered and stored in the refrigerator for a day or two.

Yield: 16 squares

8 comments:

  1. I have never seen a lemon tree...must be nice to have access to fresh fruits! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandra,

    My name is Shannon and I'm the editorial assistant at Foodbuzz.com. I am very impressed with the quality of your posts and to that end, I’d like to invite you to be a part of our newly launched Foodbuzz Featured Publisher program. I would love to send you more details about the program, so if you are interested, please email me at Shannon@foodbuzz.com.


    Cheers!

    Shannon Eliot
    Editorial Assistant, Foodbuzz.com
    shannon@foodbuzz.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be making these PRONTO. Probably tomorrow. Have I mentioned to you that I love lemons more than life?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look delicious Sandra! How awesome to have those lemons available :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the crust, your instructions call for salt, but I don't see this on the ingredients list. How much salt do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  6. mental note - do NOT look at Sandra's blog when hungry. Holy cow - what a beautiful site you have - with great lookin' food!! I've subscribed. =-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My MIL dropped off a bag of meyer lemons and this is in the oven right now! My hands smell so good!

    ReplyDelete