When I came across this recipe at Confessions of a Foodie Bride I thought "why didn't I think of that?". It's so easy but such a great snack you will wonderful why you didn't think of it either.
Needless to say, I made it for lunch today and within 10 minutes there was only 2 small pieces left which, by the way, have now been eaten by the kids, so there is nothing but crumbs.....and the thought that I need to make it again.
I took a shortcut and used biscuits instead of the pizza dough, next time I'll make my own pizza dough and I think it will be just as good.
You can take the long route and make your favorite pizza dough and marinara sauce, or the short route and pick up your favorite pizza dough and red sauce from the store.
Pepperoni Pizza Monkey Bread
Credit: Confessions of a Foodie Bride
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 lbs pizza dough (I used refrigerated biscuits)
- 6 oz mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes (I used mozzarella sticks)
- 48 slices of Turkey pepperoni (from 1 package)
- 2-3 cups marinara sauce, warmed, for serving
- Heat garlic and butter over medium heat just until the garlic begins to brown. Remove from heat and let sit.
- Lightly brush the inside of a bundt pan (or other oven-safe dish) with garlic butter.
- Pull off large marble-sized balls of dough and flatten (a kitchen scale makes this very easy). Top with a slice of pepperoni and a cube of mozzarella.
- Wrap the dough around the pepperoni and cheese, pinching well to seal.
- Very lightly brush the pizza ball with garlic butter and place into the bundt pan (I dabbed the pizza balls on a butter-dipped silicon brush to keep butter use low - there will be 1+ Tbsp leftover - and my hands butter free. Buttery hands make it hard to get the pizza balls to seal).
- Repeat until all of the dough is used.
- Cover and let sit for 30 minutes, while preheating the oven to 400.
- Bake for ~35 minutes, until the top is very brown.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Turn out onto a platter and serve with warmed marinara sauce for dipping.