Thursday, October 25, 2012

Arroz de Forno - Oven Baked Rice

One of my favorite ways to make rice, especially when in big quantities.

I also like the fact that I can pop in a chicken or roast in the oven and put the rice right along with it, have everything cook together.

2012_10240014

This is a pretty common Portuguese recipe and the best part is that you can use beef or chicken or even vegetable stock.

Here's how I make mine.

2012_10240012

Arroz de Forno - Oven Baked Rice

4 cups water
2 cups rice
1 beef bouillon cube
1 garlic clove, cut in half
salt to taste


In an oven proof dish, add the water, the rice, the bouillon cube crumbled, the garlic and some salt, give it a good stir.

2012_10240002

Bake at 375 degrees until done.

2012_10240004

Now, sometimes it takes 45 minutes for me, other times it takes an hour, there is no set time for this, just keep an eye on it and remove it when it's cooked to your liking.

What I like the most is that it creates this crust along the sides, it's nice and crispy. Yum!

Note: Some people cover the dish with aluminum foil to help the cooking of the rice. I've done it both ways and they both work, so it's completely up to you :)

1 comment: