Friday, October 19, 2012

Slow Cooker Beans and Ham

This is such a basic recipe, with only a few ingredients, but it tastes good, it's filling, it's comforting and it's perfect for cold weather.


Not to mention that it's a pretty inexpensive meal for your family and for us, a family of four, it makes quite a lot, enough that I always have more than enough to freeze for another meal.

You can eat it just as is, or you can make it even more filling and stretch it even further, by serving it with some rice, which is what I do.

Been making this one for so many years, but especially when we're trying to cut back on the food budget.  



Slow Cooker Beans and Ham

1 lb dried beans (I used northern this time, but I've made it with kidney and pinto beans too)
Ham or bacon (you can use ham hock or just sliced thick ham)
6 cups of water
salt and pepper
garlic powder
onion flakes

I don't soak my beans overnight.  I've done it with other recipes but for this one, since it's cooking all day, I really don't need to do it.



Wash the beans really well, then place them in your crockpot.  Add in the water.

If you're using bacon or ham hock, add them in now.  If you're using diced or sliced ham, wait until about an hour before it's done to add it in.



Season with salt and pepper, garlic powder and the onion flakes.  Cook on LOW for 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours.


Serve as is, or over rice.


4 comments:

  1. Mmmm Can't wait to try this one! Desperately needing some yummy cheap recipes and this one will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are making me hungry. We love beans and they are easy, good for you and inexpensive.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this. I made bean soup but still have leftover ham and lots and lots of dried beans. This will be a little different.

    ReplyDelete